UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice on company not paying in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GC-Terrazzo

Hi all looking for some advice, been working for a company on and off for last 5 or 6 years, usually only work for them from aprill to december when the big supermarkets start. So worked for them most of last year as normal and started a job for them in november and it was finished just before x mass, got payed for all the price work and there was 10 dayworks left, contracts manager said it would be payed in next few weeks its now a few months and he wont answer the phone or texts, texted him yesterday to tell him wanted payed in 7 days or i was taking them to court. Were do i stand with this there a huge company should i go see a lawyer or small claims court? Also in all the years ive worked for them ive never seen any of my retention money how do i get this back ?

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Dont think you should use a lawyer, retention is kept to cover any possible defects regarding your work.Different companies have different holding times.When you send a letter about your day work outstanding,do the same for your retention.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
pebbs letter worked for me, as soon as the plumbers that owed me the money received the 7 day notice letter they were stright on the phone to me wanting to sort it out, you need to make sure you send it recorded delivery, just take it to the post office it only cost about £1.20 but it shows you mean buisness, and if there a limited company then the last thing they want is a court case going against them, as there credit rating will go flying out the window....trust me it works and i would have no hesitation using it again...

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi gc,if its 10 days money then go through small claims...how far back back does this retention money go?

i would send a recorded delivery letter 1st stating that you have tried to contact them and you are wondering if there are any unforseen problems as to why they havent answered your calls?

also give them 7 days to pay your monies owed,if you dont hear from them start the small claim i beleive it costs about 60 or 70 pounds

G

GC-Terrazzo

hi gc,if its 10 days money then go through small claims...how far back back does this retention money go?

i would send a recorded delivery letter 1st stating that you have tried to contact them and you are wondering if there are any unforseen problems as to why they havent answered your calls?

also give them 7 days to pay your monies owed,if you dont hear from them start the small claim i beleive it costs about 60 or 70 pounds

Ive never had any retention money from them in 5 or 6 years just never really bothered about it as they kept me busy and i earned good money working for them.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi gc,not sure where you stand with that mate regarding the retention going back 6 years

may be worth a chat with a solicitor as you could put your point over that they kept you busy so you didnt hound them for your retention money but now they are also not paying your 10 dayworks money you would like to be paid in full as they arent playing ball

there will be records of your work for them so i assume they cant just fob you off with that...i would pursue it asap

good luck and let us know how you get on

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
You should be bothered about your retention.The last company I worked for that held retention gave it back to me after 6 months.not big bucks,but better in my pocket then in their account. 2% or 5% soon adds up after a few hundred or thousand mtrs.

P

Pebbs

I hate non-payers, they are the lowest of the low, it is a mission of mine to help those being owed money get their dosh. Get that 7 day letter in the post, with copies of your day work sheets. If they don't respond get down the court and fill the forms out, you can also claim for the time you have to take of from your 'work' to do this.

Get on it straight away, you know it makes sense.

Lynn

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

when this happend to me i rang the company asked where the person was i had been dealing with what job he was on. had some paper work they told me i went to site gave him my bill he claimed it was the office fault i told him you are the person i have delt with you are the person i hold responable .if company does not pay you will. got home check was there sent by motor bike .once you have done the work .that money belongs to you . retension when priceing put 5% on top if you get it back your up if not no great loss. always remember 5% ret can be 20% of profitt

G

GC-Terrazzo

Update

Hi everyone i sent my letter off last week and got a call from the company a few days later, the guy who called me was company secretary he was very nice and just said could i send another letter in a little more detail about the dayworks and retention i was owed.
So sent another letter in about exactly what the dayworks were for and the jobs i had done over the last two years. I got a reply yesterday saying that he was advised that all payments that were due have been payed so i take it the contracts manager says hes payed the dayworks not 100% sure. Also says the retention is not due at this current time i was like what the hell some of these jobs are two years old.
He then went on to say if i pursue to court they will vigorously defend there position and that they will seek to recover any costs that they incur.
Also they said they have no contractual liability to me as all jobs were payed to my dad, ill explane how it works, my dad who has worked on and off for arvins for the last 10 years so he gets all the jobs even though im the main tiler and he labours to me, so all cheques get sent to him. The company only sends out the cheques to the boss of each squad thats just the way they pay every squad. A few times over the last two years we have ended up on different jobs and the contracts managers always said will i just send out the cheque to your dads address and i always said yes as we have the same name its just never really made a difference. So they must have contract liability to me as ive done jobs for them when im the only tiler on site. What should be my next step court ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

aphilp

There is no need to use a Solicitor for the Small Claims Court - you download the form on line, fill in the detail and send a cheque.

You might find that the Company pays you straight away once you lodge your case.

However, if you do not feel comfortable with the process on your own, you can employ the Thomas Higgins Partnership, who are bad debts collectors -Tel: 0151 630 8006
Fax: 0151 630 8005 - look at them on line.

Please give me a ring if you want some informal advice.

Best Wishes

Anne

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
i gc...if they are saying you have been paid then confirm at you and your dads end all payments made on paper and amounts and dates...

also another recorded delivery letter to the contractor asking for dated receipts of all payments made to you over the last 2 years and also ask for there contractual terms in respect to when they pay on retention money ,they cant just say its not time yet demand it in writing

give them a timescale to get back to you...chase it up on the phone as well

retention is all well and good but you need to know what timescales they plan to keep it back till

Reply to Advice on company not paying in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
Bedrock Tiles are proud to announce some seriously climate, complimenting news that we have...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.