Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Advice on marble tiling a shower enclosure, adhesive, sealer, primer, substrates etc. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

djahawes

Hi there,

I'm DIYing a shower cubicle.

Have Marble tiles, 600/300 and the shower cubicle is stud wall. In its previous use it has only been plasterboarded and skimmed although I have replaced one wall with Marine ply now.

I've read various threads on adhesive, primer vs PVA, sealers and most worryingly suitability of substrate.

So questions:
1. If my plasterboard walls are not up to taking the marble tiles would replacing these with marine ply as well be suitable -I've read about aqaupanels but I happen to have several sheets of ply available...

2. would ply board need a particular type of primer as opposed to PVA?

3. The tile shop warned me of adhesive soaking through the tiles and showing patches if I didnt seal them first... Presumably I have to seal all faces before fixing the tiles to the wall or will different adhesives prevent this happening?

4. I have some Lithofin sealer left over from the slate floor -is this a suitable sealer in a shower situation? I'm aware of other recommendations on products on this forum but as I have some Lithofin I may aswell use it up -its pricey stuff!

Any other general advice on stone tiling appreciated... I've done several bathrroms but not with this size tile or material before.

Thanks
David

H

heavytrevy

Re: Advice on marble tiling a shower enclosure, adhesive, sealer, primer, substrates

Use aqua panel or cement sheeting and tank it, last thing u want is water damage , its expensive to repair.
Also you need the right adhesive for your marble, somebody here should recomend a brand thats available in your area.

Also seal marble after you have fixed them but before grouting , ur lithofin should be suitable.

Trev

P

peckers

Re: Advice on marble tiling a shower enclosure, adhesive, sealer, primer, substrates

Hi there,

I'm DIYing a shower cubicle.

Have Marble tiles, 600/300 and the shower cubicle is stud wall. In its previous use it has only been plasterboarded and skimmed although I have replaced one wall with Marine ply now.

I've read various threads on adhesive, primer vs PVA, sealers and most worryingly suitability of substrate.

So questions:
1. If my plasterboard walls are not up to taking the marble tiles would replacing these with marine ply as well be suitable -I've read about aqaupanels but I happen to have several sheets of ply available...
I would remove plasterboard and ply, and replace with a tile backer board such as marmox or wedi or hardi backer etc.

2. would ply board need a particular type of primer as opposed to PVA?
I wouldnt use ply!

3. The tile shop warned me of adhesive soaking through the tiles and showing patches if I didnt seal them first... Presumably I have to seal all faces before fixing the tiles to the wall or will different adhesives prevent this happening?
You will need to use a white single part flexible adhesive for these tiles such as mapei keraflex white. Be sure to clean dust from back of tile using a damp sponge, I would do them first and then when the backs are dry back skim the tiles with a skim of adhesive and apply the tiles to the adhesive that has been combed onto the walls. No need to seal before you install as long as you work clean, cleaning tile faces as you go removing adhesive from them! when they have dried you can then apply sealer when this has dried you can then grout. remove all grout haze before applying second coat of sealer to tiles and grout.

4. I have some Lithofin sealer left over from the slate floor -is this a suitable sealer in a shower situation? I'm aware of other recommendations on products on this forum but as I have some Lithofin I may aswell use it up -its pricey stuff!
You need to check the sealer you have is suitable for the marble tile you have not all sealers are suitable for all tiles!!!! Some are not suitable for calcerous stone!!!!

Any other general advice on stone tiling appreciated... I've done several bathrroms but not with this size tile or material before.
Take your time work cleanly and allow tiles to dry before each process and you will be fine. A wet cutter will be needed to cut the tiles.

Thanks
David
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

D

djahawes

Fantastic help, thanks. many things i hadnt thought of!

With marmox or wedi, is there still the need to tank like with aquapanel or hardie?
If yes, why would you select on of these more expensive products and still have to fork out and tank it? Are there other benefits to these boards which i'm missing here?

David

P

peckers

Fantastic help, thanks. many things i hadnt thought of!

With marmox or wedi, is there still the need to tank like with aquapanel or hardie?
If yes, why would you select on of these more expensive products and still have to fork out and tank it? Are there other benefits to these boards which i'm missing here?

David
Marmox supply a waterproof tape which you use on the joints of the board which seals the joints or you can use a polyurethane sealant, this will waterproof the joints in the weyt areas, and in the dry areas you apply a scrim tape over the joints in a dry area. there is no need to tank the walls or floors in a domestic shower imo, I would do in a commercial shower such as swimming pools etc.

take a look for yourself all the info here. Construction board, heat insulation, underfloor heating UK - Marmox UK Ltd

not saying this is the product you should use it is up to you, there all good!:thumbsup:

Reply to Advice on marble tiling a shower enclosure, adhesive, sealer, primer, substrates etc. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Advice on marble tiling a shower enclosure, adhesive, sealer, primer, substrates etc.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.