Discuss Advice on small bathroom floor. Ply or not to ply in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

N

NWB Tiling

Merry Christmas to all,

JUst after a bit of advice.

I have a very small bathroom floor to tile 2m2. The property is a 3 year old new build with a T&G chipboard subfloor.
The floor is sound and doesn't move.

My question is, for this small area is is necessary to ply - or can i use baL 2 part rapid set flexible and flex grout. This has been done in my own new bild bathroom (not by me) and all is well.

Welcome your thoughts.

Cheers

Nige

G

grumpygrouter

I am a bit different to some of the others on here. If the floor is SOLID then there are adhesives that will do the job fine. Fast Flex, Ardexflex 7001 or Granfix Ultimateflex. If it was me, though to keep the height down and the floor is solid i would lay Hardiebacker or even Wedi 6mm. I don't see the point of just gluing something on top of chipboard without screwing it as well. You may as well just lay tiles straight on top in that case!

D

DHTiling

I am a bit different to some of the others on here. If the floor is SOLID then there are adhesives that will do the job fine. Fast Flex, Ardexflex 7001 or Granfix Ultimateflex. If it was me, though to keep the height down and the floor is solid i would lay Hardiebacker or even Wedi 6mm. I don't see the point of just gluing something on top of chipboard without screwing it as well. You may as well just lay tiles straight on top in that case!

excellent point russ.....personally i don't think chipboard is stable enough to tile straight onto ..fastflex or wot ever bal say...

M

medlar

Never had a problem with the sovereign but do's have it's limitations

yeah i agree mate,my preference would be fastflex,but because of the price sometimes customers wont have it and they look for alternatives themselves,also i get a lot of customers who use Jamies tiles and thats the addy they stock/supply

Jimmy

1 other thing worth mentioning,on the subject of ,although for the last few years they advised against it,as i said i have always primed with it,if something aint broken,DONT FIX IT :santa_cheesy::santa_cheesy::santa_cheesy:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice on small bathroom floor. Ply or not to ply in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB