Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Advice on tiling kitchen floor. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wynny

Hi, I need some advice on tiling my kitchen floor. We have just had the kitchen extended and its now been plastered and the floor levelled. We now decided that we want electric UFH and are wondering what is the best way to install it. Although we should have embedded it into the floor leveller to start with,:oops: we didnt think so do we now lay the UFH down and level again then tile the whole floor OR get the units/island in and fit the UFH around these and just use adhesive to lay the tiles straight onto the current levelled floor? Any advice?

Mike

G

Gazzer

At very least you need to mark exactly where the units meet the floor as you dont want the heating mats under units/island. This could cause a hazard and could lead to failure of the floor due to hot spots.
The mats should be encapsulated in a levelling compund which is sutable for heated floors. Then when dry the tiles can be laid.
Most under floor heating mats are aound 3.2mm. With leveller over the top you should be adding about 5mm to your floor as it is now.

S

Scott

You can lay most under floor heating (ufh) in the adhesive but it is better to put them it the leveller (slc)

Personally id put the units in and leave the island but but mark where its going. Lay the ufh and the slc over the top but around where the island is. There is little point no heating anywhere your not going to walk or under units.

Some people like to tile the whole floor soits under the units. From a kitchen fitters perspective (mine!) i think its false economy especially if the tiles are expensive. There is a theory that if ever you change the kitchen then the floor will be reuseable. In todays throw away society i dont think thats always the case and your then restricted to a kitchen that matches your floor.

Edit: beaten to it again!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

At very least you need to mark exactly where the units meet the floor as you dont want the heating mats under units/island. This could cause a hazard and could lead to failure of the floor due to hot spots.
The mats should be encapsulated in a levelling compund which is sutable for heated floors. Then when dry the tiles can be laid.
Most under floor heating mats are aound 3.2mm. With leveller over the top you should be adding about 5mm to your floor as it is now.

That just about sums it up:thumbsup:

W

wynny

For what ? prices or tilers ?

For Tilers pls.

Dave, I did think about insulation but the problem I have is raising the floor height even higher. Half the floor area is new build so has celotex in it but the other half is orig. I have the UFH and also some new liquid on the market which promises to bounce some of the heat back (may work may not).

The big decision is if to lay the whole floor or fit the units first?

F

faithhealer

insulation makes the world of difference, never heard of this 'liquid' but I would go with the insulation mats. Once the kitchen is fitted you wont notice the height diff. Depends on your budget, always nice fo a tiler to have an open floor but you will save a bit by fitting the kitchen first and ufh/tiling second. (kitchen fitters to allow for extra height of course, sometimes end panels can be left off until after tiling, I say sometimes)

Last edited by a moderator:
The big decision is if to lay the whole floor or fit the units first?

I always think its a better job to fix the tiles first then units on top.

Re your height problem to the hallway, you could always fit a tapered transition bar.

Something like this

This would fall to meet your hall carpet or close to it and avoid a tripping point.

Hope that helps

Reply to Advice on tiling kitchen floor. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Advice on tiling kitchen floor.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.