UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

ian158

I have just stripped some tiles off a wall round a bath, but the tubbed adhesive that was used is a pig to get off, I have managed to get most of the notches off but would really need to be mutli finished to give a smooth substrate, however it won't go of in time to tile, so can I skim with some rapid set, and tile the following morning. Should I pva or spa prior to skimming with rapid set? Cheers Ian

Somerset
I am sure someone will tell you the screws should be no more than 200mm apart, but there are so many variables, like the size of the screw and rawlplug. I usually use the grey 10mm super plugs with 5mm x 60mm screws (depends on how sound sub strata wall is). Then I reckon you can get away with 6 or 8 screws per sheet especially if fitting 6 or 8mm ceramics on top.

Thats a lot fewer holes to drill!!

O

On one

I use a wallpaper steamer/stripper thingy, it gets old tubbed gear off quite easily just be careful not to blow the plaster underneath...

if its really stuck I give the thick stuff a quick steam, then score it with my scraper then steam again and happy days comes off nice and easy..
Ditto the above
Plus,not all scrapers are the same.Had many a job where the labourer has said he has scraped all of the old tubbed addy off,so I go in with my scraper and hey presto ''what's all this crap falling off the walls then''

W

White Room

I'f all else fails there's always big bertha
2qLg5-bUdzTV4ghFi6_T6uMUZAxzWNCycoouwMOTCUbMIuHmzib7ns71ncoodFpc1oLzBVQtThm1V8WRgq1_Uwk-paojqs5HBEOiYwvtDu1888qti4xAeY5LqkPug4UYidshGRMCbdLvtAPpO-Gr2F49oEXOAVOC1jK7OFN60lI

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Well I used a wallpaper stripper and it did the job, still needed some elbow grease but a sponge would never of done it, there was also two layers of silk emulsion underneath the adhesive, who's says tiling over paint is a no no, those tiles were on for life !

Depends how long you intend to live, but I know what you are saying. Glad you got it sorted.:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Advice Hi guys, got some 60cmx60cm porcelain tiles to lay in a hallway with a modular pattern...
Replies
Views
need eyes in the back of your head. Using Norcros NX standard set floor tile adhesive. After an...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Advice please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.