UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice please...!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mbcmultitrade

Hi all.

I have recently been to look at a floor tiling job, where somebody has fitted a bathroom for my customer, and the floor tiles have all lifted. All of them. The floor in question is situated in an old cottage, very concave. The previoius tiler, has laid 18mm ply wood onto the joists. There is then an underfloor heating coil on top of the ply, then the adhesive, then the tiles. Myself and the customer popped a few of the tiles up and the adhesive has stuck really well to the floor and underloor heating, but not the tiles. It has just left the adhesive print on the back of the tiles. The customer has had the previous tiler over to assess it, and also the adhesive manufacturer, and they have both walked away from the job, both claiming innocence. I have since been asked to price for re tiling the floor. The customer tells me that the tiler in question cut all of the tiles inside the bathroom, and im just wondering if the dust from the cutting has somehow worked its way onto the back of the tiles, and resulted in the tiles not adhering properly??

The questions i have are:

Do i price to:

1: lift up the floor tiles, hack up the underfloor heating and adhesive, leaving the original ply down and lay new underfloor heating and tile onto the exisitng ply after re-priming

or

2: do the same as above but lay new ply too

or.... the million dollar question:

3: is it possible to prime the adhesive that is already down, so as not to disturb the underfloor heating, and tile directly onto the original tile adhesive? I have never done this before, and my instinct tells me it shouldnt be done. however, I was just wondering if it can be done, and if i could save the customer a few quid?

Can you please provide as much advice as possible.

Thanks guys.

Matt Carrott
MBC Multi Trade Services.

T

Time's Ran Out

I think it would be relevant to know the type of adhesive used and the type of tile attempted to be fixed to try and gain some answers as to the de-bonding of the finished material.
Not sure what a 'concave cottage' is, or why both adhesive manufacturer and tiler would claim innocence and walk away without any recourse. The failure is in the last stage of the contract (tile fixing) so it does narrow down the field of errors, however the UFH may have introduced a customer influence which is beyond their involvement.
If the base material as it stands is solid (and only you will know that) a flexible cement based adhesive may be your answer either direct or onto a suitable self levelling screed.

M

mbcmultitrade

timeless john:

I obviously wasnt clear..... 'concave' - relating to the contour of the floor, ( it is far from level) which is inside the bathroom - in the 'cottage'.

The customer says he never turned the UFH on for over a month after job completion. The guy that did the job is now saying that he is not in business anymore and cannot fix the job. The supplier states there is nothing wroing with their addy, as per usual.

SLC may be the answer, but would like a few more proffesional opinions onm what the best solution is.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice please...!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.