Discuss Advice re hard wearing and practical white floor tile for wobbly Victorian house? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

Re: Advice re hard wearing and practical white floor tile for wobbly Victorian house

Hi Jane,

There is often more than one way to complete a project which is why you may be getting conflicting advice from the tradesmen you have already shown around. In addition, getting advice from the tiles stores is not always the best option, some know what they are talking about and others won't have a clue but will sound convincing just to get a sale out of you.

In general your hall shouldn't be a problem with the correct prep, how far that prep goes and the cost will of course depend on the current construction. The stairs may be more problematic. It is possible but in most cases the stairs would either need to be steel framed or concrete which I doubt is the case from your description.

The advice you will receive here will be top notch but without seeing the job first hand it would be impossible to specify the job with 100% conviction. What we can do is give you all the advice and the questions you should be asking your tiler.

To do that, pictures of the areas you want tiled would be extremely handy

J

jane

Re: Advice re hard wearing and practical white floor tile for wobbly Victorian house

If Dave cant put you onto a pro tiler in your area,get plenty of advice/estimates from local tilers,you'll get everything from no problem to very difficult/costly,because of what you want. This is a great site to double check what you're being told.Good luck.

Thats EXACTLY the problem you see - you dont know whether it really is 'no problem' and the others are making more work than there is to make it more costly ( I go back to my taking the car into the garage issue) OR the 'no problem' guys havent considered issues a more experienced tiler would understand or wont discover them till its too late. My experience of being a single woman commissioning work who has had some bad experiences means I am just as cautious about the 'no problem' guy as the sighing and tutting "its a nightmare" guy!! I've met them both!!! Guess it IS all about recommendation but also about me knowing what I want and need.( You have to be a good customer too.) So fingers crossed I get some great contacts from here - if not I will post you all back with the results of local quotes and may be you can give me your thoughts?

J

jane

thats really helpful... let me see if anyone contacts me who is recommended by Dave, if not, I will def post some pics and see what you think. Yes -its true there are many ways to finish a job, thats a very valid point. Half the issues is that I am cautious, I know it wont be cheap and I want to get it right and pay the right but fair price - Im not looking for cut price.

Thanks to everyone on this site - its nice to know there are good people you can ask.

Reply to Advice re hard wearing and practical white floor tile for wobbly Victorian house? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first post here. I've been lurking this forum for advice for a while, thank you all who...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
E
Good Evening all, I have an enquiry that I require some help on. The situation is that...
Replies
Views
T
    • Winner
Hi. Calling all experienced Victorian floor fixers and anyone who has come accross this...
Replies
Views
L
the front facade of my house and my front wall aren't exactly parallel, im busy with the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Advice re hard wearing and practical white floor tile for wobbly Victorian house?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.