UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice Required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tileman2

Hi,

Completed training 3 weeks ago and just got my first paid job to do, Its a kitchen splashback going under units and across a window and sill, only half the windows height is being tiled. appox 5m2 in total, Im plannig on completing this in one day

Couple of quick questions

1, Obviosly im going to be doing a large amount of unusual cuts around units, ie always used the paper method ie cut a template out in paper and transfer this to the tile. Is there any other method that seems to work well.

2. The tiles are only going to be around 5/6 high and in some places only 3. Would you still use a batton as the bottom row of tiles is certainly going to be 1/2 a tile after setting out.

3. There must be 3 double sockets at least, Do you find it far easier to cut behind the sockets and then just replace the faceplates which im sure will provide a far better finish.

4. Tile trim, i need to do a three way mitre, Anyone got any quick and easy method of carying out this.

5. Grouting, Will i definately have to wait over night before grouting as i really would like to get this done and dusted in one day (if not then i will go back to ensure job is carried out spot on)

Any help/advice on the above would be great

Regards

Kev

C

Concept PHT

Hi Kev.

Most of this this should have been covered in your course, but here we go:

1. Paper method is an excellent way to do this. Also, a profile gauge is another good idea. (Get them from wickes / screwfix etc)

2. You should always start with a full tile upwards from the work surface. If there is no surface, then use a baton, definately.

3. Cut behind the sockets.

4. Fine toothed saw and mitre block. Perfect.

5. You can grout same day mate.

Good luck :)

T

tileman2

Hi yes this was all covered on the training, but i just wanted to find out if there were any other methods people used that may have been easier or quicker.

Quote (2. You should always start with a full tile upwards from the work surface)

Yes i understand you should start with a full tile from the work surface (make job easier) but what if that left a very thin cut (impossible cut) next to the socket or work units, then surely starting with lets say 1/2 a tile would make all cuts possible

Regards

Kev

C

Concept PHT

Hi Kev,

There should be enough to cut around the sockets if your unfixing the sockets and tiling behind them. If the tiles are slither cuts close to the units, then if its under the units, you will get away with a thicker grout line (not to thick though) as it will be hidden under the unit. If its close to the pelmets, then thats the luck of the draw and you need to cut carefully. With cuts like these, its wet cut all the way, a steady hand and plenty of water.

Other options are to drop a row of tiles or choose another tile size completely.

Either way I would try and stick to a full tile upwards. :)

T

tileman2

Yes the wet saw will be doing my impossible cuts if i cant get away from them, My only concern is if the work top aint level then ill have to cut the bottom row of tiles to make the first row level, still sticking to full tile from workbench upwards, Hopefully if it aint level the drop isnt that bad (it didnt look uneven to the eye).

I will be unscrewing the electrical sockets from wall and tiling behind, makes a much neater job.

the tiles im using are 8x6 that have a mosaic effect on them, they are uneven due to the grout lines and he told me they were ceramic. Are these pretty easy to cut with dry cutter.

Regards

Kev

T

tileman2

It depends on how deep the mosaic effect is. Give them a good scoring before you pull the trigger. I would stick to wet cut though.

I always check the surface level with a spirit when I go to quote. If its not level, then I adjust my quote and advise the customer accordingly.

Good luck Kev - Drop some pics on here when your done :)

Hopefully the dry cutter will do the straight cuts if not like you say wet saw will do it (any tip on correct pen/pencil to use on tiles as wet cutter tends to wipe the mark off fairly easy)

Quote: I always check the surface level with a spirit when I go to quote. If its not level, then I adjust my quote and advise the customer accordingly.

Good thinking ill remember that for future, although it did look bang on

As for pics ill certainly post them on here for all to see

Regards

Kev

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice Required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hey. I doing my first walk-in tiled shower. The shower is 4’x8’. Most of the floor is covered...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.