UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice....wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

immiH

Hi All

Firstly I'd like to say thanks to all the posters and say that the forum is a great place for advice and some banter!

I've got a question regarding product selection for tanking a couple of wetrooms, two on the first floor and one on the ground floor.

From what I've gathered on the forum it's critical to prepare the area well. So I was thinking of the following:

Former: Impey Aqua-dec Linear 1200 x 1200

Now, I think I've got two or three options;

1. Dural Durabase CI Matting (I've got nearly 100 sqm of floor tiles to lay on the GF, so am going to need 4 rolls of this anyway, so could use the rest in the bathrooms. The question is, could I lay this over the shower former, i.e. adhesive, cover with matting and then tile over the top. I have two concerns; will the gradients of the former be affected and secondly is it acceptable to do this over the former.

How about the walls? Do I need to get the WP membrane to do them in and around the shower area?

2. Impey TileSafe matting: Use this over the formers and a meter beyond the "wet" area. In this case what do I do for the walls, use the Dural WP membrane? TileSafe isn't a decoupling membrane and will not offer any benefit from lateral movement; is that correct? I have underfloor heating (water) and the manifold for the 1st floor is in the bathroom, hence a lot of pipework running around a screed in the bathroom, hence it's going to be quite a warm floor (the reason I though a decoupling membrane would be best)

3. (This might be quite a .....silly suggestion). Use the TileSafe in and around the shower and use the Dural for the rest of the bathroom!!?

Look forward to hearing your suggestions and experiences.

Cheers, have a great Bank Holiday weekend....

I

immiH

Hi Impey!

Thanks for the replies.

Just to double check, put the tile backer boards on the shower walls; and then a waterproofing membrane or is the membrane not required. I'd rather be belt-and-braces rather than trousers by ankles!!!

The UFH pipework will run under the former so I understand that in this case use the matting over the tray. In this case I need to be extra careful not to negate the falls in the former!!!

Just to close the loop, in the case where one was using TileSafe and a decoupling membrance what should be done at the interface of the two?

Just to let you all know I appreciate your responses, I need to get this right first time as I don't want to have to go back to it due to trying to save a couple of pounds or a few hours now . Rather do it right firt time.

I'll be getting in touch with Impey support and I'll send you a PM after this!

Thank you kindly

Just to double check, put the tile backer boards on the shower walls; and then a waterproofing membrane or is the membrane not required. I'd rather be belt-and-braces rather than trousers by ankles!!! Tile backerboard on the walls and the just an upstand with the tilesafe membrane to create a tanking. (Upstand 75mm)

The UFH pipework will run under the former so I understand that in this case use the matting over the tray. In this case I need to be extra careful not to negate the falls in the former!!! The tilesafe over the tray and up the walls 75mm, the tanking is only 2mm thick and will not affect the falls. Go beyond the tray by 1m

Just to close the loop, in the case where one was using TileSafe and a decoupling membrance what should be done at the interface of the two? If you go 1m beyond the tray you can over lap the decoupler right up to the edge of the tray.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice....wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.