Discuss Advice with laying 600x600 tlies in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andyw

Hi all, sorry new here and will introduce myself in the correct section.

To save money I am laying floor tiles in the new extension. The room will be a kitchen and I'm probably going buy the large 600m porcelain tiles.

The floor had a 75mm screed layer laid over underfloor heating back in December. I have been advised to use 1 part adhesive. But I need some advise on laying the tiles and spacings. What is the best way to make sure that all the tiles are level with each other? Do you use spirit levels? I am aiming to find the centre of the room and try and mark out, but find the best place is not that straight forward as the room is not exactly square.

Lastly would 4mm spacers be ok, and can I leave them in?

Finally could I post a pic of the room?

many thanks
Andy

A

Andyw

Thanks for the advice all, I've only just tiled walls before and that was in two houses. Where we are now I've just laid tiles in a small en-suite and it look ok. I've never tiles an area before that will be used as the main hub of the house, and the tiles are pretty large. The problem is the extension did costs a fair chunk and we didn't really factor in getting someone else to tile and decorate etc.

can someone please just advise what issues I could face and then I will decide on what course of action to take, also what do tilers charge these days?

C

charlie1

Issues
.. Lippage... one lip then another appears somewhere else, flatness... sure all the tiles follow the same projection, alignment... Making sure the tiles are well set out and running straight, consistent spacing... A good tiler will be able to keep the joints the same and tight.

grouting... Slumpage,discolouration, cleaning, sealing...

all above is just off the top of my head, could list more but they are the obvious ones

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Are the tiles rectified? Are they polished, ot un-polished porcelain?
Make sure the new floor is as flat as possible. Don't assume that because its newly laid, it'll be flat. The bigger the tiles, the smaller the tolerance.
Not allowed to discuss price on here, and it varies anyway, depending on where you're based. A few quotes won't cost you anything though.. Ask for references, and to see previous work. Don't go with the cheapest.

Best of luck whichever way you choose to go ;)

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Have you bought the tiles? When you choose your tiler it might be worth seeing if he can get a similar tile, from a decent tile shop, for a similar price. I can't comment on that particular tile, but most of the b&q tiles I've seen have been terrible to lay. They can vary in size by up to 3mm, and usually aren't square!?!
If you already have them, it might be worth going through the boxes and checking them. Any that are too far out, could be exchanged. ;)

C

charlie1

That particular tile isn't bad, they're well calibrated and cut well. Doing 30m of them at the minute and no issues with transit wax either. Spot on for the money to be honest.

Quite a lot of work in laying rectified 600s if you're inexperienced. If they're not flat as a pancake they look terrible.

Imo these are the most challenging tiles to lay bar none

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice with laying 600x600 tlies in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, hoping for some advice.... Had a anhydrite screed laid early Feb. Looking at laying 20mm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB