Discuss Ahh.. how long do i need to wait...HELP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stu2010

Hi

I find myself in some trouble... Stripped off a load of old tiles around the old shower area.. Then put a 5mm coat of Thistle bonding and then a skim coat to finish.

I'm using Ceramic tiles.. tiles are about 7mm thick

I've just spoken to Thistle technical support and they have said i need to wait 5 - 6 weeks to let the bonding an plaster dry before tiling...

1) HELP --Do i really have to wait 6 weeks before tanking with BAL WP1 and tiling?...

2) could i do it in a week?

3) If i did it in a week... what could go wrong??

please help!!

thanks

Stu

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stu2010

Hi

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.. really appreciate it.. even if it was not the news i wanted to hear!!

Ok..so two further questions if you would mind helping some more.

1) Is it the bonding that takes the time do dry... would i still have the same problem if i had just used thistle multi finish and not used the bonding?

2) the all important question.. what should i have done???

just to give you an idea.. the walls were tiled floor to ceiling on all 4 walls, they wanted compleatly new tiles so i stripped the old ones off, which left a very messy and uneven wall... I was hoping to refit the entire bathroom and retile all the walls within a total of 3 weeks.. ( i have 2 weeks left!)

Can you tell me what i should have done so i wouldn't have to wait so long for the walls to dry

P.S.. Its my Aunts bathroom.. as you can tell.. I'm not a Pro.. just reasonable at DIY

thanks again

Stu

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I'm confused. Wet gypsum based wall substrates tend to dry at a similar rate to gypsum flooring substrates i.e. 1mm per day up to 40mm deep. Slightly quicker if on a wall that offers 2 way drying. Strength development is related to drying.

If the bonding is 5mm and the finish skim is say 4mm why does he have to wait 5 to 6 weeks. I could understand it on new walls where you have to wait for the whole wall to dry. Personally I would have dot and dabbed Gtec aquaboard but won't argue with the wedi idea. Just not sure about the 5 to 6 weeks for maybe 9 or 10mm of plaster.

Be gentle everyone I'm a screedy type not a plastery type.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
you have just read my mind alan

5mm for the bonding and 2mm for the finish....?? normal recommendations are for bonding that is applied between 9-11mm with a 2-3mm finish?? i know, that that the depths mentioned in this post would be ready to tile on in a week -10 days for sure but what do you do when the tech depts dictate the gurantee's

Ahhh! so true.

S

Stu2010

Hi Guys

thanks again to everyone who is giving me advice.. i really appreciate it.. I'm A decent DIY'er but clearly out of my depth on this one.. Just trying to do a good dead for my aunt who is in hospital having treatment for cancer.. she'll be out of hospital in 2 weeks, hence the time issue!

SKIM THICKNESS – HAVE I SCREWED UP AGAIN???!!!

SO... I know i've cause confusion with my bonding and skim thicknesses... Again.. what seamed sensible to me may have totally backfired!! having stripped the tiles and been left with a fairly uneven wall due to some of the old tile adhesive being left behind... I thought i'd just put a very thin coat of bonding on to the wall to cover over the old adhesive and make a flat surface... so.. i recon this coat of bonding is between 3mm-5mm thick.

Then.. having been told that i can't apply BAL WP1 to bonding, and that it must be applied to a finishing plaster skim... so I duly skimmed over the bonding.. Just 1 coat of skim.. aprox 2mm - 3mm thick at most.

I probably have a total thickness of between 5mm -8mm of bonding and skim.

HAVE I SCREWED UP AGAIN!! ?????

thanks again to everyone... I keep my fingers crossed that the answer to this post wont be bad news!

cheers guys

Stu

Reply to Ahh.. how long do i need to wait...HELP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Ahh.. how long do i need to wait...HELP
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.