Discuss Ahh.. how long do i need to wait...HELP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

hi stu

firstly, sorry to hear about your aunty, hope she is ok mate!!

secondly, the thickness of bonding and skim that you have applied is ok mate. t
he only concern is, the type/weight of tile you are going to fix ie your substrate now is reduced to 20kg per m2...
also, you mentioned that you plastered over some adhesive. was this tubbed adhesive by any chance?? and did you prime the walls before bonding with either pva or an acryllic primer....if not, the bonding could fail with the weight. bonding can fail on its on if the wall isnt primed before application...this can be a big worry

S

Stu2010

Hi

firstly..thanks a lot for your concern.. my annt has certainly been trough a rough time.. but its looking good for her.. so cheers!

Wiith regards the tiles .. the one i'll be putting up are 7mm thick ceramic tiles.. I'm afarid i don't know the wight per quare meter.

with regards the old adhesive i bonded and skimmed over... First i did a 5 -1 PVA mix and let that dry.. then i did another 3-1 PVA mix and did the bonsing while that was still tacky.

The old adhesive has been therse sisnce the hose was built in the early 1980's .. no idea wat adhesive it is but the stuff that was left on the walls wouldn't budge so hence bonding over it.

Bassed on all of the above... could you take a ball park guess of when i'd be safe to apply the BAL WP1 and Tile???

Also.. how do i tell when the bonding / Skim is dry enough to tile on??

thanks again for everything

Stu

A

Aston

its hard/not ethical to advise without seeing the job mate, you can only go so far with your advice on a forum.the last thing i want to do is say do this and then a problem occurs..

the plaster will look really light pink when its dried. you havent put much thickness on, so it wont take that long, as long as there are no damp issues etc on the existing walls....what id say is give it as long as you can. its a bit of a kop out but, in this case, go with the tech depts recommendations or as close to it as you can to them....

Reply to Ahh.. how long do i need to wait...HELP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Ahh.. how long do i need to wait...HELP
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.