Discuss AKW Tuff Form Formers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Hi and welcome..

These are good trays..

They have fastening holes around the perimeter of the tray... make sure the joists are flat or the tray could flex..

Screw down tight once the drain is connected and then sand the tray lightly to get a good key for the adhesive.. I then use Dural WP and cover the whole tray.. easier than individually covering the fastening holes, make sure the membrane goes under the drain collar..

J

JFRWhipple

AKW Tuff Form Formers - Canadian and American Installations

Good day men. I have not logged into your site for quite some time and am researching in depth the AKW Tuff Form Former. I ordered a 36"x36" kit with the Mapei Mapegum WPS waterproofing (tanking) kit. These Former Kits are much more common in your parts so I decided to jump in and ask the UK crew some questions.

I have a few questions for you seasoned installers.

1). What grit sandpaper should I use to rough up the shower base? I was thinking 60-80 grit and sanding it with a wooden block. I was also wondering if I could hit it with a metal cup wheel (wire cup brush for the angel grinder) and then a quick sand with 80-100 grit sandpaper.

2). How tight do you set the screws into the perimeter Noggins (blocking)? The install sheet I have says not to over tighten and to open the holes up with a 1/4" bit first. I was wondering if by chance I should set the screws with a rubber washer and then drive them home???

3). If I want to use a product like Kerdi or Durval (sheet membrane) over top what is the best thin-set? An epoxy based one perhaps? I would think a scuff up or sand first again before going this route?

4). If I go with the included kit and roll and brush on the Mapegum WPS - how long before I flood test it? Mapei's spec's state the Mapegum WPS product dries over an absorbent material in 12-24 hours and 4-5 days for non-absorbent surfaces. I have mocked up a little test box to test this new material. Any one have a strong opinion one way or the other?

TuffFormPan.jpg

My 36"x36" AKW Tuff Form

MapeiMapegumWPS.jpg

Mapei's Mapegum WPS

MapeiMapegumWPSproducttestboxforfloodtesting.jpg

Test Box

I have a load more pictures on this kit and my AKW drain here.

Thanks for any and all help men!

John Whipple
By Any Design Ltd.
North Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to AKW Tuff Form Formers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Aloha everyone. I've embarked on a bathroom remodel. I opted to use the hydro block shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a keen DIYer and have chosen an Impey Aqua Dec 4 and waterguard tanking kit. The Aqua...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
AKW Tuff Form Formers
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.