Discuss Alfa Heavy Anhydrate. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I still like the idea of a stamp or industry standard different colour to a normal sand & cement screed......

that said, i have seen first hand what information Alan (Ajax) leaves with a customer, we have worked together on a recent project, the developer is pretty clued up on what is going on, he has been in contact all the way with alan and tilemaster re screed drying ect ect, so i cant fault gypsol (francis flower) for theback up service.

Anhydrite Scale 2013May23Fil (2).jpg Small problem now is the developer is wanting to get tiling job started, but the reading on the tramex states its its 0.7% and Tramex have confirmed today that the reading on the middle scale of the CME 4 machine must be no higher than 0.3% with underfloor heating over anhydrite screed. If there is no UFH the reading should be no higher than 0.5%.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

I'm not sure about the stamping.. Nobody else in the building trade stamps their work!?! And I don't think you can really lump all screeders together. At least Alan's on here trying to shed some light on the subject. ;)
well next time you go on site take a good look you will find every think from plaster board to roofing tiles will be stamped its the law .

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

I wasn't going to grace this with a comment but felt as you have mentioned it twice you wanted a response. Please stop drawing ridiculously over dramatised and generalised inferences from the fact that screeders don't "stamp" their work. Conspiracy theories about what they have to hide are unhelpful and frankly a big silly. Most screeders like most tilers are solid professional tradesmen. Most of them leave information with sites about the screeds they supply. You should perhaps analyse why this information is not passed on. There are some who are less capable just as there are tilers who are less so but generally no one goes out to work to do a bad job and they certainly don't do it to p**s the tiler off. In fact I would suggest that the vast majority of screeds go in before the decision on what coverings are used us made so the reeder probably doesnpt even know tiles will be used... Or even care.... Why should he...he is a screeder not a tiler. That's your job.

To make these sorts of issues disappear we could of course begin encouraging screeders to take on the tiling as well but that would eat into your work wouldn't it....
problem there is they would probaly leave without grouting or sealing the tiles .can you give me one good reason why you wont leave a stamp mark on your work ?why is that to much to ask

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
problem there is they would probaly leave without grouting or sealing the tiles .can you give me one good reason why you wont leave a stamp mark on your work ?why is that to much to ask

Cost?? Common sense?? Not my work?? Lots of reasons really.....

M

Mr Tiler

Had to laugh .... Sorry.... No offence.

It's alpha hemi hydrate. And it is a calcium sulphate screed. It will have Laitance but it will not be a soft friable Laitance. In terms of prep it should be treated the same as any other calcium sulphate screed. I.e. Sand it, vac it, dry it, heat it and cool it (if heating is present), test it for residual moisture and if dry prime it as appropriate and tile it
hi ajax I don't want to be a pain but is there any chance you could type up a really in depth thread about the ins and outs of what screed is? its a subject I have not yet looked into and wouldn't know where to begin it would also make a nice sticky ;)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
hi ajax I don't want to be a pain but is there any chance you could type up a really in depth thread about the ins and outs of what screed is? its a subject I have not yet looked into and wouldn't know where to begin it would also make a nice sticky ;)

I did this some time ago. Will have to search it out and rerun it....

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
Found this.....

Low Laitance or Skin Free Gyvlon Screed is a new generation Gyvlon screed available from does not generally produce a friable skin. This means that it does not need the same level of preparation as the old fashioned more traditionally known material which required that the skin be sanded away using a rotary floor scarifier and a 60 grit paper. However just because it does not produce a skin does not change the fact that the screed surface still needs to be prepared. Many adhesive manufacturers recommend that all types of substrate are sanded to remove any contaminants likely to affect adhesion. Low Laitance Gyvlon Screed will benefit significantly from running a sander over it in order to remove such contaminants and to provide a simple key for the adhesives. Scabbling screeds is far too aggressive and can damage the screed so I do not recommend this as a preparation method. There is no reason to take off the "top 5 mm" of the screed. Again this can be detrimental to the screed which should be designed to relatively thin depths.

65m of Gyvlon screed will dry in approximately 90 days given that the screed is in a drying environment which is 20oC and 60% relative humidity with good ventilation. This time of year these drying times need to be extended. Moisture testing can be carried out using a hair hygrometer and we would always encourage this practice with all screeds. Obviously take notice of the moisture requirements applicable to the different types of adhesives as some need the screed to be drier than others. Additionally, you will note that some of the materials say that they do not require a primer. We are at present uncomfortable with this and would prefer to see a primer used in order to reduce suction into the screed and thus preventing premature drying of the adhesives.

In all cases where underfloor heating is present this should be commissioned prior to the application of primers and subsequent floor coverings.

In terms of adhesives we do not manufacture these materials and so it is not appropriate for us to commenting on specific materials for specific applications. However in our experience we would generally recommend the use of either 1 of the following systems.

1. Water dispersible Epoxy Primer and Flexible Cement Based adhesive
2. Acrylic primer and Gypsum Based adhesive
3. Uncoupling membrane used in accordance with the manufacturers requirements.

We would not normally recommend the use of acrylic primers with cement based adhesives although we acknowledge that provided all criteria are met perfectly that these primers will be perfectly acceptable. We feel however that the more robust solution is the use of water dispersible epoxy primers.

The products below are some examples of the types of materials we are talking about.. You should not take these as specific recommendations and you should seek the advice of the relevant manufacturers in order to satisfy yourself that they are suitable for the specific application in question. To place some context to the use of gypsum based materials over gypsum based substrates we are unaware of any failures with these systems where they have been applied.

I hope that this is of assistance and should you or your client have any further questions or queries please feel free to contact me.

Alan Jackson
Technical and Specification Manager
Lafarge Gyvlon
07545 932723
Gyvlon Environmental Flowing Floor Screed Solutions

"Lafarge Gyvlon - Helping Achieve Excellence"

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Found this.....

Low Laitance or Skin Free Gyvlon Screed is a new generation Gyvlon screed available from does not generally produce a friable skin. This means that it does not need the same level of preparation as the old fashioned more traditionally known material which required that the skin be sanded away using a rotary floor scarifier and a 60 grit paper. However just because it does not produce a skin does not change the fact that the screed surface still needs to be prepared. Many adhesive manufacturers recommend that all types of substrate are sanded to remove any contaminants likely to affect adhesion. Low Laitance Gyvlon Screed will benefit significantly from running a sander over it in order to remove such contaminants and to provide a simple key for the adhesives. Scabbling screeds is far too aggressive and can damage the screed so I do not recommend this as a preparation method. There is no reason to take off the "top 5 mm" of the screed. Again this can be detrimental to the screed which should be designed to relatively thin depths.

65m of Gyvlon screed will dry in approximately 90 days given that the screed is in a drying environment which is 20oC and 60% relative humidity with good ventilation. This time of year these drying times need to be extended. Moisture testing can be carried out using a hair hygrometer and we would always encourage this practice with all screeds. Obviously take notice of the moisture requirements applicable to the different types of adhesives as some need the screed to be drier than others. Additionally, you will note that some of the materials say that they do not require a primer. We are at present uncomfortable with this and would prefer to see a primer used in order to reduce suction into the screed and thus preventing premature drying of the adhesives.

In all cases where underfloor heating is present this should be commissioned prior to the application of primers and subsequent floor coverings.

In terms of adhesives we do not manufacture these materials and so it is not appropriate for us to commenting on specific materials for specific applications. However in our experience we would generally recommend the use of either 1 of the following systems.

1. Water dispersible Epoxy Primer and Flexible Cement Based adhesive
2. Acrylic primer and Gypsum Based adhesive
3. Uncoupling membrane used in accordance with the manufacturers requirements.

We would not normally recommend the use of acrylic primers with cement based adhesives although we acknowledge that provided all criteria are met perfectly that these primers will be perfectly acceptable. We feel however that the more robust solution is the use of water dispersible epoxy primers.

The products below are some examples of the types of materials we are talking about.. You should not take these as specific recommendations and you should seek the advice of the relevant manufacturers in order to satisfy yourself that they are suitable for the specific application in question. To place some context to the use of gypsum based materials over gypsum based substrates we are unaware of any failures with these systems where they have been applied.

I hope that this is of assistance and should you or your client have any further questions or queries please feel free to contact me.

Alan Jackson
Technical and Specification Manager
Lafarge Gyvlon
07545 932723
Gyvlon Environmental Flowing Floor Screed Solutions

"Lafarge Gyvlon - Helping Achieve Excellence"

Alan, you don't recommend Scabbling, so what would your recommendation be? Good information here by the way, I'll be saving this, so thanks.. ;)

S

Stef

Alan, you don't recommend Scabbling, so what would your recommendation be? Good information here by the way, I'll be saving this, so thanks.. ;)

You could also Phone Mark Simpson at lafarge, he's a good man to speak to.

Beanz, I hire a floor sander from jewsons to prepare a Gyvlon for tiling.
It's a drum floor sander & gets the job done quickly although a bit dusty..

S

Stef

Is that different to scabbling!?! I'm rubbish at terminology, I thought that was the same thing!?!

My understanding of scabbling would be using a scabbler to remove a stubborn substance.
I worked at Tilbury power station many years ago & used a scabbler to remove old paint from a metal weigh bridge, this was an air gun with metal rods that's came out the end of it, a brute of a thing that would destroy a screed in seconds.
Not sure if there would be a different process in the tiling world.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
My understanding of scabbling would be using a scabbler to remove a stubborn substance.
I worked at Tilbury power station many years ago & used a scabbler to remove old paint from a metal weigh bridge, this was an air gun with metal rods that's came out the end of it, a brute of a thing that would destroy a screed in seconds.
Not sure if there would be a different process in the tiling world.

Oh ok... When I googled scabbling pics came up of floor sanders lol!?!

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
I hired a floor scabbler last year.

Needed to remove floor paint and some knackered self levelling compound. It was a bit like a lawn mower but with small stumpy chains that ripped the paint and knacked levelling in no time. Hell of a machine, petrol driven, noisey as hell. I hired it for the day......it took me 20 minutes, so I took it straight back to the hire shop and told them the customer didn't want the mess......so I got my money back. :thumbsup: Result.

Last edited:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
You could also Phone Mark Simpson at lafarge, he's a good man to speak to.

Beanz, I hire a floor sander from jewsons to prepare a Gyvlon for tiling.
It's a drum floor sander & gets the job done quickly although a bit dusty..

Mark Simpson doesn't work at lafarge?? Unless he's moved. He works for Gyvlon. Doing my old job.

S

Stef

Mark Simpson doesn't work at lafarge?? Unless he's moved. He works for Gyvlon. Doing my old job.

Sorry Alan you are correct, I wrote lafarge he does indeed work at Gyvlon.
I had given him a Phone after I had some incorrect tech know how from Mapei & Bal that I knew wasn't right.
Trying to convince the contracts manager of company I work for well that's another story.

Reply to Alfa Heavy Anhydrate. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
We are looking for flooring for our new kitchen, lounge and hallway and would like to use LVT...
Replies
Views
ben_gee
B
Hi everyone, I'm having the majority of the ground floor of my house tiled (35m²) and I'm not...
Replies
Views
I have been researching this for days and need some help. My garage has a concrete floor. I live...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB