UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss All tiles have not stuck in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Superally

Hello all, Just finished my small ensuite 1.5m2 area and I have just noticed that the grout has cracked. Under closer inspection all the tiles have not bonded to the ply. The tongue and groove floor was solid so i used 6mm wbp ply screwed every 150mm centers. I know 6mm ply has no structural benefit but provided a nice smooth surface. Adhesive was bal rapidset flexible which has never given me any problems in the past. I have thought of one possibe reason this could have happened.......as it was a small area I applied the adhesive to the tile then pressed them down onto the ply. The ply was not primed as recommended by Bal. Have I made a schoolboy error? Tiles from good old B+Q!
Any thoughts??

J

john32145

hi m8 i done 2 bathroom floors and a kitchen floor in my brothers house with 6mm ply even though i told him it was no good his girlfriends dad got it free from his work so they insited i tiled on it, so i did but told him if anythin goes wrong not to blame me, so i tiled it and the tiles have now cracked even the small bathroom floors, will never tile on 6mm ply again just causes problems.

John

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Like the others have said, 6mm Ply is too thin. The fact that you didn't prime it, as per recommendations, would be my main worry though. I'm thinking that the Ply has sucked the water out of the addy, which is why it hasn't stuck. I'd expect cracking from the deflection, but the fact that you have loose tiles, suggests to me that the addy has failed.

That would be my best guess, but you should be aware that i'm pretty new to tiling, so wait for more experienced tilers for confirmation. :thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

Like the others have said, 6mm Ply is too thin. The fact that you didn't prime it, as per recommendations, would be my main worry though. I'm thinking that the Ply has sucked the water out of the addy, which is why it hasn't stuck. I'd expect cracking from the deflection, but the fact that you have loose tiles, suggests to me that the addy has failed.

That would be my best guess, but you should be aware that i'm pretty new to tiling, so wait for more experienced tilers for confirmation. :thumbsup:
BAL say not to prime ply with their addys Beanz.

Some tiles were loose but the others could easily be pinged off with a screwdriver!!!...even the ones behind the wc and pedistal sink. Not one blob of addy has stuck to the floor!! This is the concerning bit as I have never had a problem like it and always use the bal stuff.

6mm exterior ply is big hear over 18mm spanboard i have never seen any trouble with it not what i would recommend but thats the way its done using flexible rapid set

Is the addy stuck well to the tiles, could it be grime or dust on the ply

G

grumpygrouter

Grumpy,they say to prime the underside of ply.

Dont think they would send anyone out(BAL) BECAUSE THE PLY WAS NOT WHAT THEY SPECIFY...TOO THIN.....this is my opinion.:incazzato:
part of the priming/sealing debate here Bri. I assumed the guy didn't prime the ply and that would be correct, but you are supposed to seal the underside and edges (withr SBR and not APD) not prime them. Ardex specify Polyurethane varnish for their stuff. This confusion arises many times in the forums and I think it is becauses peeps don't read the literature properly:thumbsup:

S

Superally

I put my hands up to using 6mm ply...bad move. Tiles have only been laid 1 week and not seen much traffic as the project aint finished yet. Sides and back of ply was SBR'd. My understanding of this is to stop any water getting into the ply from either moisture vapour or bath splashes going down the wall. Already spoke to Bal rep and he will entertain a meeting with him. Thanks for input!!

G

grumpygrouter

I put my hands up to using 6mm ply...bad move. Tiles have only been laid 1 week and not seen much traffic as the project aint finished yet. Sides and back of ply was SBR'd. My understanding of this is to stop any water getting into the ply from either moisture vapour or bath splashes going down the wall. Already spoke to Bal rep and he will entertain a meeting with him. Thanks for input!!
Glad to see they are listening. Please keep us informed of their decision, it will be interesting for the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Superally

I have tiled many floors with no problems and most people here have jumped up and down blaming the 6mm ply. Ply was screwed down at 150mm centers and I simply cannot believe in the short space of time that none of the tiles stuck. Its almost as if the 6mm ply was dipped in teflon!!! Will let you all know how I get on with the bal man. Any thoughts on very cold water used for the mix?.....I mixed it outside then brought it into the nice warm house....also like the idea of the ply sucking out the moisture from the addy.

S

Superally

Well, met with Bal man today and he had one look at the ply and said that there must have been oil/preservative coated on the ply (not by me). As in my first post all tiles pinged up with no spintering of the wood. But you all know that 6mm wbp ply is duff for tiling onto so lets hope that the thicker stuff has not got this coating on it also. Was going to go back to B+Q and ask them about it but hey I'm sure they could not care less!! Think backer board would have been better as you dont know where the ply has come from.

Reply to All tiles have not stuck in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.