UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Am i too old in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gladstonscrewer

Male 45 years old interested in tiling and diy am considering a career change & tiling looks like something i might enjoy , my question is do you think i am maybe a little too old at 45 to take on a course & would i get work or would a company look for someone younger ?
I have also enquired to a company called Local services who amongst other trades are offering a franchise in tiling with full training , does anyone no this company or could recommend them, any feedback would be most appreciated .

D

Deleted member 9966

Welcome Gladstonscrewer!

I am in disbelief that you think 45 is a little too old for tiling... 45 is no age, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Age Discrimination legislation is designed to stop employers from refusing to employ or interview individuals based on their age or time based experience criteria.

So long as your fit and healthy and can manage all the manual work, it shouldn't matter how old you are.

Go for it if it's something you want to do :hurray:

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
Girlracer..........I love you:yes: I'm 46:yikes:

Glaston............if its wot you enjoy, and more to the point.........you think there is a market for another tiler in YOUR area.......then go for it, but you need to weigh up the pro's and cons in the present climate. Your work (if to a high standard) will outweigh your age. Also as long as your fit and healthy and have good knees........:dizzy2:

Definitely would NOT jump straight into full time at the moment

D

Deleted member 9966

Glaston............if its wot you enjoy, and more to the point.........you think there is a market for another tiler in YOUR area.......then go for it, but you need to weigh up the pro's and cons in the present climate. Your work (if to a high standard) will outweigh your age. Also as long as your fit and healthy and have good knees........:dizzy2:

CJ - anytime.. I myself am nearly 30.. very surprised that I made it this far, I always thought my mum would kill me before I made it to 21 :yes:

I echo all the advice given. Decide whether there's enough work for you as well as keeping your health and fitness in check. Probably best to have a steady job in the current climate than not have one at all.

O

Olz

Excellent advice CJ, Glaston, if your in a secure full time job that is paying the bills my advice would be stick to it in this present climate, work is scare in alot of area's at the moment in the construction and trades industry as illustrated by the increased number of posts on the forum asking if anyone has any spare work going. Id hate to see you on the rocks financially this time next year becuase you quit your job and havent pulled much tiling work.

Maybe start part time to test the water in your area and see how the land lies in 6 months?

Oli

U

user123

Oh my God, not the age thing again!!!

45?? You're younger than me! Great time to change your life, I did and love every minute of it, no regrets at all. But, I do have the luxury of not having to be the sole breadwinner, so I'd say go and do the NETT course (Franchise??NONONONOPE!!), which will be handy knowledge for yourself and seeing how you take to it all, see if you can get some work in your surrounding area and just see how it goes, leaving your options open a bit. My personal feeling is that the more positive your outlook the better you fare - that goes for anyone dong anything - and cope with inevitable setbacks or disappointments, too, ride them out, be proactive and make your own way.

CJ and girl racer, my husband is heaps older than me and we both feel really young....:yes::yes:

D

Deleted member 9966

great everyone letting me know thier ages feel quite young at 44 now except for the odd bone creaking now & then:hurray:

Toffo, have you tried taking cod liver oil at all? As daft as it may sound, it may help with the bending and creaking.. A guy I used to work with couldn't stomach cold liver oil so swapped to a spoonful of olive oil a day. Pretty much did the same job and he swore that it was helping!

Reply to Am i too old in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.