Discuss Angle Grinder or wet cutter in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi,
After working with a couple of lads over Xmas in Devon, they introduced us to using a angle grinder other than a wet cutter.
We since got one and must admit they are really good.It saves lugging round the wet cutter and cleaning the damn thing out. Mind you the angle grinders are really dangerous,like anything if misused,just nicked my finger yesterday,but was lucky.
Wondered What your views are in working with an angle grinder over a wet cutter?

S

sWe

Angle grinder, pro:

Good mobility
Good for cutting difficult shapes (though I prefer a combo of hand scoring tools, drills, and nippers)

Angle grinder, con:

Lots of noise
Lots of dust
Unsafe
The edges tend to get chipped
Can easily damage/crack tiles

Wet saw, pro:

Fast once set up
Good at straigt cuts
Good at mitering/jolly cuts
Some can do reversed plunge cuts
Fairly clean edge

Wet saw, con:

Low mobility
Can get messy
Needs refilling of water
Needs cleaning at the end of the day, or more frequently if used alot

Both have their uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Raja

hello mate everything u have said is bang on the 1 thing i will tell u is please try and get into the habit of using wet cutter angle grinders are very dangerous things a friend of mine seriously scared for life when he lost control for 1 split second 2 years ago. I have 2 grinders but rarely use them. But if u do i know this wil sound daft but clamp the tile to a bench then use grinder with both hands. All the best

B

bluevin123

Thanx Don Valley, good words,I must admit it can be quite scary using one of these,especially when you get kickback,sorry th hear about your mate.
Cheers.
Vinnie.
----
Thanks Gaz, I will try to use the wet cutter more,but will switch between the two, to master the use of both should prove to be quite invaluable.
Cheers.
Vinnie.

G

Gazzer

I use both and wonder how i managed before without my angle grinder. A good wheel is a must and dont try and force it through the tile. It also helps if you get one of the smaller diameter body grinders such as the bosch blue range. That helps you grip the grinder better.
Most tools have hazards, i know a guy who broke the tip of his finger when he crushed it in a rubi snapper.

I

IvegotsTILE

I have a small grinder but its only there if its not worth the hassle of setting up the wet cutter.
Used to be an industrial roofer and I'll never forget my boss using a big grinder to cut some metal cladding,he slipped and went straight through his thigh,me and my mate had to get the forklift driver to put a pallet on his forks,boom it up and get him off the 40 foot roof onto the pallet as he couldn't get down the ladder.
He was alright but he still doesn't take enough care when using it,lets hope it doesn't happen again.

M

MICK the Tiler

Angle grinder, pro:

Good mobility
Good for cutting difficult shapes (though I prefer a combo of hand scoring tools, drills, and nippers)

Angle grinder, con:

Lots of noise
Lots of dust
Unsafe
The edges tend to get chipped
Can easily damage/crack tiles

Wet saw, pro:

Fast once set up
Good at straigt cuts
Good at mitering/jolly cuts
Some can do reversed plunge cuts
Fairly clean edge

Wet saw, con:

Low mobility
Can get messy
Needs refilling of water
Needs cleaning at the end of the day, or more frequently if used alot

Both have their uses.

I always try and use an agle grinder over the wet saw anyday. It is a must for new tilers to learn how to use this underated tool properly, knowing how will increase your productivity 3 fold there by increasing job turnover times and profits. Try and buy a thin barrel type as these are designed with the tiler in mind I use Metabo which are light and powerful last a long time even in extreme cutting situations. The grinder is no more dangerous to use and master than any other powertool. they are inexpensive and give you freedom especially if working in multi level dwellings, No up and down stairs to the wet saw.

I will give some sound advice in Mick's speedy tiler tips next week on using the angle grinder, wheel selection, cutting techniques, Safety and maintenance so all new to tiling can learn to master the art of using the angle grinder to improve your speed and your profits.

R

Ric

used angle grinder for first time on slate last week (only because it fitted in bag on train) very dusty process lots of kickback like guys have said, but it is portable and good for shapes. i thought also it might be useful for shaving a window reveal if it wasn't quite right but then again i did get chipping of the tile edge which wasn't too good! possibly be used as an emergency but will stick to wet cutter as i feel an accident would be around the corner.

S

sWe

I always try and use an agle grinder over the wet saw anyday. It is a must for new tilers to learn how to use this underated tool properly, knowing how will increase your productivity 3 fold there by increasing job turnover times and profits. Try and buy a thin barrel type as these are designed with the tiler in mind I use Metabo which are light and powerful last a long time even in extreme cutting situations. The grinder is no more dangerous to use and master than any other powertool. they are inexpensive and give you freedom especially if working in multi level dwellings, No up and down stairs to the wet saw.

I will give some sound advice in Mick's speedy tiler tips next week on using the angle grinder, wheel selection, cutting techniques, Safety and maintenance so all new to tiling can learn to master the art of using the angle grinder to improve your speed and your profits.

I agree that new new tilers should take time to learn how to use an angle grinder properly, and I do agree that it's a very versatile tool which is very good to bring on smaller jobs, but seriously, at individual tasks, it's average at best. It's good enough as a beginner's tool, but when you're established, you should invest in some more proper tools, for many reasons.

First off, increasing productivity three times is definatly an exageration. A good wet saw does a better and faster job at almost everything you can do with both an angle grinder and wet cutter, once it's set up. For curved cuts, there are far better and more efficient options than an angle grinder, and the same goes for cutting holes.

Second, there are health issues to consider when using an angle grinder: It's very noisy, and very dusty, even if you use a dust catcher.
I hate coughing orange/brownish after a long session with the angle grinder, and I use a bloody dust mask. (Btw, if/when you stop coughing that crap up, it means your lungs are in pretty bad shape.)
Sure, If I've got one or two L-cuts to do on a kitchen splash back, I use my grinder, but I always use protection (which I always carry with me), and besides, given that I keep most of my tools in my car, it's not such a big sacrifice of time to set up my small wet saw.

If I gain some comfort, and preserve some health, by using tools which take me five minutes longer to set up, and five minutes longer to clean and pack up, I'm very happy. Even if you use protection, keeping the dust levels to a minimum lets your lungs last longer, and the same thing goes for your hearing if you can keep noise levels down.

I do not want to put my hard earned money towards sitting in my own filth in a nursing home when I retire early, just because I didn't have the forsight to minimize any abuse on my body.

I've found that using proper, and proper sized tools, increases my job satisfaction quite alot, and that coupled with proper protection and support, I'm probably saving alot of money by staying healthier longer. One sick day means alot of lost income and a distrupted schedule, and when you do get sick, it's more often than not something which takes longer than a single day to get cured from. This is especially true for us in the construction business; There's like two dozen lung diseases which mainly affect us due to all the crap we get subjected to on a daily basis.

Even if all this pansying around, thinking of my health, job satisfaction, comfort levels etc, was decreasing the profit I pull in, it would be worth it to me, because I work for a living; I do not live to work.

I've seen quite a few burn out/get sick in the middle of their prime, just because they weren't careful. Where's the productivity in that?

Just some thoughts...

M

MICK the Tiler

I agree that new new tilers should take time to learn how to use an angle grinder properly, and I do agree that it's a very versatile tool which is very good to bring on smaller jobs, but seriously, at individual tasks, it's average at best. It's good enough as a beginner's tool, but when you're established, you should invest in some more proper tools, for many reasons.

First off, increasing productivity three times is definatly an exageration. A good wet saw does a better and faster job at almost everything you can do with both an angle grinder and wet cutter, once it's set up. For curved cuts, there are far better and more efficient options than an angle grinder, and the same goes for cutting holes.

Second, there are health issues to consider when using an angle grinder: It's very noisy, and very dusty, even if you use a dust catcher.
I hate coughing orange/brownish after a long session with the angle grinder, and I use a bloody dust mask. (Btw, if/when you stop coughing that crap up, it means your lungs are in pretty bad shape.)
Sure, If I've got one or two L-cuts to do on a kitchen splash back, I use my grinder, but I always use protection (which I always carry with me), and besides, given that I keep most of my tools in my car, it's not such a big sacrifice of time to set up my small wet saw.

If I gain some comfort, and preserve some health, by using tools which take me five minutes longer to set up, and five minutes longer to clean and pack up, I'm very happy. Even if you use protection, keeping the dust levels to a minimum lets your lungs last longer, and the same thing goes for your hearing if you can keep noise levels down.

I do not want to put my hard earned money towards sitting in my own filth in a nursing home when I retire early, just because I didn't have the forsight to minimize any abuse on my body.

I've found that using proper, and proper sized tools, increases my job satisfaction quite alot, and that coupled with proper protection and support, I'm probably saving alot of money by staying healthier longer. One sick day means alot of lost income and a distrupted schedule, and when you do get sick, it's more often than not something which takes longer than a single day to get cured from. This is especially true for us in the construction business; There's like two dozen lung diseases which mainly affect us due to all the crap we get subjected to on a daily basis.

Even if all this pansying around, thinking of my health, job satisfaction, comfort levels etc, was decreasing the profit I pull in, it would be worth it to me, because I work for a living; I do not live to work.

I've seen quite a few burn out/get sick in the middle of their prime, just because they weren't careful. Where's the productivity in that?

Just some thoughts...

Great post sWe That's the thought process we are encouraging. :thumbsup:

If you are coughing dust and wearing a dust mask it's the wrong type and you should invest and try other types.

Never heard of a silent wet saw before but I always wear ear plugs and muffs so always feel protected. no matter what type of cutting I'm doing.

5 minutes to clean up. You are most welcome to come and clean up my tile slurry anyday:thumbsup:

If your really worried about your long term health in the construction game a change of scenery might well be a outlook in the future, pen pushing and paper cuts are far less of a health risk. :yes:

S

sWe

Never heard of a silent wet saw before but I always wear ear plugs and muffs so always feel protected. no matter what type of cutting I'm doing.

Never said they were silent, I just implied that they're slightly less nosiy :thumbsup:

5 minutes to clean up. You are most welcome to come and clean up my tile slurry anyday:thumbsup:

I'll pass, thank you very much :) Cleaning my own crap is satisfying enough :thumbsup:

If your really worried about your long term health in the construction game a change of scenery might well be a outlook in the future, pen pushing and paper cuts are far less of a health risk. :yes:

Lol, no, I'm not worried about my long term health, I simply care about it :p

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Angle Grinder or wet cutter in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

On large format are alot of you using angle grinders (anyone use the monolit guide? Plus using...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all, I'd really appreciate your guidance if any of you would be so kind. Apologies in...
Replies
Views
You can find DNA blades for Tile Cutters at a very reasonable price from TradeTiler.com 180mm...
Replies
Views
hmtiling
H
H
Hi guys, I just done a tiling course. I am a plumber to trade and served my time and have since...
Replies
Views
Aston
A
Hi, over the past few years we have got by using our DeWalt wet table cutter when cutting large...
Replies
Views
Concrete guy
C

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB