Discuss Another Black Quartz question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi, I'm new here.

Me and the wife have just got out first house and want black quartz tiles in the kitchen, we've been looking about and there's some really high prices, and online, some much nicer prices! I have had a sample from Stone Superstore, which to me looks pretty decent, just wondering if anybody have heard of them or used them before? They do them in 400 x 400 too which doesn't seem the easiest size to find, a lot are either 300 x 300, 300 x 600 or 600 x 600 (all of which are £35.90+ VAT per sqm) says they contain 93.5% Quartz.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Tom

Last edited:
C

Colin James

Hi, I'm new here.

Me and the wife have just got out first house and want black quartz tiles in the kitchen, we've been looking about and there's some really high prices, and online, some much nicer prices! I have had a sample from Stone Superstore, which to me looks pretty decent, just wondering if anybody have heard of them or used them before? They do them in 400 x 400 too which doesn't seem the easiest size to find, a lot are either 300 x 300, 300 x 600 or 600 x 600 (all of which are £35.90+ VAT per sqm) says they contain 93.5% Quartz.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Tom

Sounds a bit too cheap to me...there is a big difference between qualities out there so be careful is my only advice and look for the quality with less than 5% resin.

C

Concrete guy

Sounds a bit too cheap to me...there is a big difference between qualities out there so be careful is my only advice and look for the quality with less than 5% resin.

I don't know of any producer that claims to have a stable product at 5% resin volume or less.

Silestone claim 7% and thats only for a single specific colour, most are 10% to 12% resin volume.

I used to manufacture quartz, most of what I read about it's consistency and chemical makeup on line is utter rubbish.

IMO, it's not a particularly suitable flooring product for high traffic areas. Bathrooms etc are just fine. It cannot be used externally, it should not be fitted in direct sunlight as it will fade, it can't even be stored outside as it's susceptible to UV light and acid etching from acid rain.

If you want black sparkly stuff, galaxy granite (bronze fleck) or Cosmos (aka stargate) granite (silver fleck) are superior products in both wear and appearance and quite often cost less than quartz.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
I don't know of any producer that claims to have a stable product at 5% resin volume or less.

Silestone claim 7% and thats only for a single specific colour, most are 10% to 12% resin volume.

I used to manufacture quartz, most of what I read about it's consistency and chemical makeup on line is utter rubbish.

IMO, it's not a particularly suitable flooring product for high traffic areas. Bathrooms etc are just fine. It cannot be used externally, it should not be fitted in direct sunlight as it will fade, it can't even be stored outside as it's susceptible to UV light and acid etching from acid rain.

If you want black sparkly stuff, galaxy granite (bronze fleck) or Cosmos (aka stargate) granite (silver fleck) are superior products in both wear and appearance and quite often cost less than quartz.
Great info,
take this advice as he knows his stuff where this is concerned .

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Another Black Quartz question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
S
Hello all, Doing a bathroom that is being done out in 12mm Jackoboard as the existing plastered...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB