Discuss "ANOTHER" Nightmare job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
Started a new job today. Large Victorian house. Kitchen/Utility & hallway floors.

Mostly old screed/concrete.......small section of old floorboards. ALL tiled already......onto a mixture of hardboard & 4mm ply.

No problem.....or so I thought.

Utility/hallway came up no problem. Then came the kitchen. Which was ply over floorboards, but a lot of cracked/broken tiles. Started pulling up tiles......and the ply AND the floorboards just crumbled to dust.

It it looks like Dry rot?

The old concrete (under the floorboards) had been laid with batons set into the floor every 2' or so.......I assume to nail the tongue & grooved floor to, but even the batons had turned to dust. So now I have half ripped up, back to concrete, the whole area, About a 35/40mm drop in floor height.

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day, as she won't/doesn't want the kitchen removed, which is still on rotten boards.

Monday evening rant over..

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to "ANOTHER" Nightmare job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB