Guest viewing is limited

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 British Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss Another Plasterboard Tile Weight Dilemma in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

UK
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped.

I am renovating an ensuite, it's been a mission but everything was starting to go nicely, tray installed, walls Mapei tanked - then the tiles the missus decided on turned up and they are a bit heavier than expected!

The tiles are ceramic 600x300 x 10mm and weigh 17.5kg per s/m without adhesive.
The dilemma I have is that I left the largest wall (about 3sqm) in situ as it was in good nick. It's skimmed plasterboard, dot and dabbed to thermalite block - the rest is now mostly replaced with cement board.

So, do I:
1. Just go for it knowing the combined weight of tiles, adhesive and grout will push me over the weight limit by about a kilo?

2. Rip it down, batten out the wall with 19mm thick battens and fix either PB, cement board or 10mm STS? 19mm batten is the max I can go due to space, the tray being already fixed and not wanting to rip it all out, I've got max 30mm to play with if I take the plasterboard off.

Or 3. fix 6mm Hardieboard over the top of it all and try to mechanically fix it to the wall behind with extra long screws and loose a little bit of the shower tray width?

Or is there anything else I should consider?

Cheers.

Hello

Here are my thoughts:

Going for it: This could work, but it's risky if you're slightly over the weight limit.

Ripping it down and battening out: This option is safer, providing a solid base for the tiles and keeping you within weight limits.

Fixing 6mm Hardieboard over: This could work if secured well, but be mindful of losing width on the shower tray.

Reply to Another Plasterboard Tile Weight Dilemma in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

UK
What member type are you?
  1. DIY Wall and Floor Tiler

Thread Information

Title
Another Plasterboard Tile Weight Dilemma
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tiling Standards
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Ardex

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Mapei

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • BAL

Votes: 25 29.8%