Discuss Another Quartz Tile Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

Kel

Hi All,

First post so sorry if this has been covered before. Had a load of grey quartz tiles (from that supplier in the North East) installed, part over a suspended wood floor, part over a concrete screed floor with hot water under floor heating.

The tiles were installed back in August, but we only moved back in over the weekend. We noticed that in a couple of areas, the grout had gone dark, and on closer inspection it was damp. The tiles in these areas had also come loose. We got the builder back in and he took them up and there was water and damp lying all over the bond.

We have now had to take most of the tiles up as they had come loose. Most of them have bowed and need replacing, but in all areas, there was water lying under the tiles. The UFH is not leaking anywhere and there are no other leaks anywhere either.

I'm really worried the builder is going to turn round and say that the tiles are not suitable for laying on UFH, but it doesn't explain the water.

Please Help!

D

diamondtiling

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Quartz tiles can bow over underfloor heating, they are a conglomerate of materials and contain a resin, it will be this material that is reacting to the heat.
As for the water there must be a leak somewhere surely? The adhesive will be dry after 24 hours so the water must be coming from a water source. Have you pressure tested the installation? If not then you need to just to rule it out.
Can you post some pictures?

K

Kel

It's a cement screed (about 70mm thick as far as I can see) laid on top of kingspan.

Everywhere has been tested for leakage and there are non to be found. The heating has been on for the last 48 hours and no more water has appeared. It drys almost as soon as the tiles are removed.

Could it be condensation from the screed?

Also, only the tiles near to the outer edge have done this, the rest are all fine

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

I would like to know also if the screed was fully dry before tiling but because you say its only in certain areas I am wondering if you could have a leak from rain water running down inside the walls. I only say this because some while back I had to investigate something similar ( Not quartz tiles though and no UFH) but water was beneath the tiles. It was only after a lot of searching that we found a downpipe from the guttering was letting water through the roof which then ran inside the walls and to the floor.

Reply to Another Quartz Tile Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Another Quartz Tile Question
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.