UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Another question about tiling on plywood. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Ascot

Hello.....hoping some of you can offer some advice.

I am in the process of tiling my bathroom. I have installed the shower tray in the corner of the room (brick/plaster walls) and built a fin wall on the third side. I have, however, used 18mm plywood to sheet out the fin wall. I realise now that i should have used a tile backer but now that its done, i can't get the ply off because its built right up to the shower tray.

I am using 250x380mm marazzi minimal tiles and Mapei Keraflex S1 adhesive.

I spoke to the technical guy at Mapei to see if i needed to prime the ply first and he said that it would not need primed but needs to be WBP at least. I'm not sure that it is, its just from B&Q. He said if it is not WBP or marine grade then it would need replaced (or sheeted over which i can't do because it would ruin my tile layout for the front face of the fin wall).

What would you do in this situation? If it's not WBP would priming it help? (He wouldn't comment on that). Or do you think this is totally necessary to take it all apart again? Is there any other treatment that might work? Or do i just tile away and hope for the best?!!

(I have already tiled the back wall of the enclosure.)

Obviously I dont want the tiles to fall off, but rebuilding the fin wall and box that is attached to the other side is A LOT of work to undo!

Hope some one can advise.

A

Aston

i dont want to upset anybody here but ply, whatever the format should now not be used in water sensitive areas.
its unstable, contracts and expands throughout the year more than any other type of board. joiners are notorious for using it because, well, they are joiners and they think its strong but that doesnt mean it correct.

i can understand people using it years ago when we didnt know what we know now, but its UNSTABLE so you run a much higher risk of future problems...why would you want to do that, when there are better and more suitable products out there? it doesnt make sense does it...

ps i hope i dont come across as patronising its just i dont want to see people lose money, my intentions are to help, not critisize

A

Ascot

Damn it! Obviously the majority of responses are not what i wanted to hear!

AliGage - yeah it's just a stud wall to make the 3rd side of the enclosure (about 800x2000mm to tile on both sides). No pipes or electrics in it but no insulation in the cavity either.

The back wall of the enclosure is already tiled so if i took off the ply on the side wall, i'd have have to cut through the jointing tape i used vertically in the corner and not replace it, but i gues that is not the end of the world.

I think it may be possible to get the ply off without disturbing anything else but if i use hardiebacker (12.5mm) i'd need to pack it out to match the 18mm ply that was on it. Otherwise it would leave a gap to the tray and throw off my tiling layout. That hardiebacker is a bugger to cut too! I think thats partly why i used ply in the first place!

As EverDon Tiling suggested, would tanking that one ply surface in the shower enclosure be an option?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Guys,

I hate to go against the grain, but i have to ask. I'm all for using the correct products, i agree ply is not a great substrate and both deano and Ed are correct in their recommendations.
However, from what the op posted i've taken this to be a stud wall built out into the room to create an enclosure space. So, with no "outside" influences (i.e no outside walls, rooms to effect any tempreture etc) would the following not be sufficient?

As long as the studwork is built well and there are plenty of regular fixings to a rigid frame. Insulate the cavity in the wall. This will keep tempreture consistant within the cavity and prevent any warping of the ply. If you then tanked the face of the ply, better yet the wall all the way round. Would the tanking not only waterproof the wall, provide a means of a de-coupler but also insult the ply from any heat transfer from using the shower?

I completely agree the ply shouldn't of been used in the first place, but, if the op really didn't want to take it out or if it was too much hassle. Do you think what i'm suggesting would be sufficient?

A

Ascot

Ok everyone. I think you have me convinced. I've pretty much got my head round taking the face off all of the fin wall and box frames that i've built and replacing them with backer board. Probably hardiebacker as i can just get it from B&Q. The wedi board sounds handy but i haven't seen any here in Northern Ireland. I'm usually a belt-and-braces type in my DIY so i'd rather do the job properly.

The only thing not done properly then will be the jointing tape at the back vertical corner. As i said, the back wall is already tiled so i wont'be able to re-apply the tape when i replace the ply side wall. I will however use silcone in the corner joint between the tiles so hopefully this will allow for any movement.

Some day this job will be done!

Reply to Another question about tiling on plywood. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.