Discuss Any advice? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dave85

i would say dont give up the kitchen,do your course then try and build your reputation up by doing weekend jobs and family&friends,work coming in thick and fast at min but luckily i sub contract from a company for my main work and get alot of private from that but i dont think it would be easy for any1 just starting out at the min gud luck tho

Cheers man, yea that was gonna be my plan, just to take it slowly and put a little advert in the paper an try and build a little portfolio. Just one little job a month would probably equal the amount of money I'm currently on so any little job would be very welcome! Whats your views on these 2 week courses that are about?

P.s I love the name! Sir Ramic, haha!

B

bjohn

Dave, im kinda in the same situation as you! 25, working in office looking to be a tiler. My advice so far is as I have done, do a few odd jobs like regrouting walls for friends and families, take some before and after pictures build up some work, maby get some small testimonials on those jobs. Im planning on doing a similar course and going from there!
Try ringing some of the local tilers in your area and ask if they want any free labour in your spare time! Even if you just mix, or carry, you have eyes, so take everything in! I have asked a couple of these and they seemed quite keen. Good luck man!

G

goodfellow

Hi There

My advice to you is to keep your kitchen job just now, get plenty of experience in the tiling and go to some classes in basic plumbing and then basic joinery.
With those skills behind you, you could eventually get yourself into the position of being an actual bathroom fitter. Good bathroom fitters where I work Ayrshire and Glasgow can command good money (but only if you are good).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dave85

Thanks for all the advice and warm welcome guys, I'm currently trying to get in touch with a friend who has been tiling since he left school, gonna see if I can go and do some work with him for free before I start any courses.

Has anyone here been to construction skills college? If you do the 10 day course you get a city & guilds in floor and wall tiling and it counts towards getting an nvq in the future.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Any advice? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Any advice?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.