Discuss Any tilers in Manchester want a free pair of hands? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MikeyH

Hi guys,

I came on here especially to post this and noticed that only 32 minutes ago someone else has posted a similar question but in a different area, so if this kind of question gets asked all the time you'll just have to excuse me.

Im asking if any tilers out there who are still busy would want some free labour, fetching, carrying, brewing up etc. In return im hoping to get a bit of knowledge in tiling and see how a professional goes about it.

Ive not done any tiling before, im going on a short tiling course in the next weeks to learn the basics, but i realise theres only so much you can learn in a classroom. Even if i learn enough to do my own, and maybe some close friends it will be worth it for me.

Thanks

I'm based in South Manchester. Got a small floor to tile later this week in Didsbury.

I'm renovating my gran's flat (RIP). It's been up for sale for two years, and their was a long term slow leak in the flat upstairs so it has ruined all the decorating and some of the floor tiles popped up in winter when things froze. So I've been using my spare time this year to get through all stuff that needs to be done - especially as my mum is paying for it!!

So it's not a fancy job, but your welcome to come and help mix up some addy, cut/pass some tiles and of course putting the kettle on :thumbsup:

M

MikeyH

Hi lads, thanks for the fast replies!

Im doing the course at stockport, and its the cheapest one i could find locally, but im doing it over 2 weekends around work. There were a couple of other 4 day ones for a bit more money, but i know theres only so much they can show you in 4 days anyway so i went for the cheapest.

Just to let you know a bit about myself, as someone has informed me that from a tradesmens point of view whos never met me i could be any idiot and it could seem more of a risk than anything having someone tagging along. Im 24, currently working full time for an engineering firm driving the forklifts and operating the crane. Lived in tameside all my life and am currently living in ashton with my misses.

Also i should have mentioned that ive got to try and find people who could use a pair of hands either in the evening, weekend or when i can try and get a few days off. As far as im concerned, its even worth booking holidays at work for me to learn a bit. If your wondering 'what will i get out of it?' well im a grafter you certainly wont need to bend down picking up tiles and my brews are the business. I know its a long shot but worth asking i think. Also, if by chance any of you guys needed any website work doing that could also be whats in it for you, im handy with a computer and have a couple of qualifications in website design. Just never wanted to sit at a desk all day and do it for a living so i do the odd 'foreigner' from home.

Thanks DJS, very nice of you to offer mate, have you any idea which day you'll be doing it or would i best asking you later in the week.

Very much appreciated!

Hi Mikey,

I'm not sure what day now, but you are still more than welcome when I do it. I'll take note of when you're available too

I had a couple of calls today and my works plans are likely to change for later this week. I'm only allowing myself to change plans because it's a family funded job paid for by the executors of my grans estate (I.e. my uncle & mum), so it has a lower priority than a proper paying job!! Something they don't teach ya on a tiling course...lol.

I'll let you know later in the week once everthing get re-arranged (Wed/Thurs).

Couldn't agree more. Experience with a well established tiler is an opportunity not to be missed.

I've recently started up on my own, but you're still more than welcome to come down.

I did a 4 week course in Plumbing & Tiling after spending 2 years working for a company doing so called 'property maintenance'. Couldn't work for that firm any longer due to lack of quality in finish, so that's why I setup on my own! Before that I had about 18 months plumbing experience. And before that I worked in an office/finance.

Even with the little experience I have, I still come here reading up/asking questions and the help from these guys has been great. You came to the right place if your thinking of starting out :thumbsup:

M

MikeyH

Thanks lads, ive spoke to Phil and hes welcomed me to join him on a job anytime which i was over the moon with after seeing the jobs hes done they're stunning. Thanks very much i think i may have dropped lucky and plan on making it worth Phil's while too doing any fetching and carrying.

Thanks alot DJS! I'm struggling for time off work at the minute which is a pain cause i really wanted to go and see phil but he doesn't work evenings or weekends so when im off in the next couple of weeks im going to see if i can still go up and join him. In the meantime if you ever want a pair of hands in the evening or weekend i'd jump at the chance mate and again ill try to make it worth your while too, you wont be bending down for any tiles mate.

Thanks to such a friendly and helpful bunch of guys!!

Reply to Any tilers in Manchester want a free pair of hands? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, just wondering if any tilers in the Manchester area are looking for anybody to take on...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Hi, Is there anyone out there looking for some free labour in the Oxfordshire area anytime...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Any tilers in Manchester want a free pair of hands?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.