Discuss Anyone used Nicobond Plastic Ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

V

vistatiling

Ok an update on Nicobond Plastic Ply,

I had a Domestic tiling work few weeks ago, had to remove existing carpet and lay the tiles on dining room floor 10 square metres.

After ripping the carpet, i saw the floor boards, and since the area had 5 doors which would need trimming if I layed the 18mm plywood, I suggested the customer to go for a revolutionary Plastic Ply which is only 2mm thick, so eliminates the need to trim the doors...

A bit of a breakdown:

To lay the plywood would have costed him: £420 inc materials.
Trim 5 doors: £100.00
which totals to: £520.00

And buying + fixing the plastic ply, costed him £196.00

Not bad?

Fingers crossed, the plastic ply will last as long as the Plywood would.

plastic_ply.jpg

V

vistatiling

Hi Vistatiling, welcome to the forums. Thanks for the picture. Will you be keeping in touch with your customer to see how his floor holds up and will you keep the forums updated?

This customer, does want to get some more tiling done by me in the future, so whenever it's gonna be, I will see the status of that job :)

So yes you can expect an update on this some time next year. :)

T

tfs

perhaps worthwhile to keep floor height low but, taking cost into account it is deffo not cost effective and probably not as durable as good old plywood.

I reckon that over large areas it would also cost a hell of a lot more as you will loose adhesive in every little pocket in the sheets and then more if you need to over coat with a thin layer to notch 'and then' lol once again if you ever need to back butter the tiles.

I guess if your using 18mm ply then the plastic ply would be the choice based on cost lol

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Mapei has a plastic lath which comes in a roll, 3 feet wide which you staple down where needed and use the same as the aforementioned plastic ply.
Basically it serves the same function as expanded metal lathe, only it's plastic.
Personally I will stick with ditra for plywood replacement.

Ditra doesn't replace plywood.......not for deflection purposes anyway..

V

vistatiling

perhaps worthwhile to keep floor height low but, taking cost into account it is deffo not cost effective and probably not as durable as good old plywood.

I reckon that over large areas it would also cost a hell of a lot more as you will loose adhesive in every little pocket in the sheets and then more if you need to over coat with a thin layer to notch 'and then' lol once again if you ever need to back butter the tiles.

I guess if your using 18mm ply then the plastic ply would be the choice based on cost lol

what a primitive thinking...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Anyone used Nicobond Plastic Ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

any help on this would be really appreciated because i have been allover the place trying to...
Replies
Views
E
Several years ago i was given some boxes of plastic ply. A mate of mine wanted a chipboard floor...
Replies
Views
H
I've found a tile store selling this at a decent rate (less than half price what tile stores...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
S
Hi can someone help me with this problem I have choosing a ply substrate. I'm ripping old floor...
Replies
Views
samnjarv
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Anyone used Nicobond Plastic Ply
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.