Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Applying sealer. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

Been on a job this week where the tiler was thrown of the job due to poor tiling...There are 4 bath rooms and he had tiled three and i have finished the last one...Now i have to fix the other bathrooms, cracked tiles, remove grout where there should be silicone etc. But the main bathroom has black Basalt tiles on the wall and the client wants them removed due to the sealing problem. So i got some Aqua Mix Sealer & Coating remover out of the van...Put some onto a tile on a wall tile and waited a couple of minutes..then scraped with a razor blade and the sealer came of in thin strips :yikes: I think i can save the job being ripped out as the client was happy with the results. Poor Knowledge on sealing i think!!! Will try and get some pics of removing the sealer next week. :thumbsup:

E

enduro

Here is a picture of the tile that i started stripping the sealer off..its the bottom right and you can see where i stopped. Bit of a job to take a photo, there is some natural shading in the tile, but you can seel the sealing on the other tiles.

Attachments

• 123 014.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 103
E

enduro

Here are few pictures of tiles not cleaned before sealing and to much sealer applied...I used Aqua Mix sealer & coating remover applied with a white scotch pad. Gave it 5 Min's dwell time to soften the sealer. Then carefully used a razor scraper to remove sealer from the Basalt tile. You can see the sealer was thick and a Anthracite grout was used that's why its coming off black. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Sealer removal 006.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Sealer removal 005.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Sealer removal 003.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Sealer removal 002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Sealer removal 001.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Sealer removal 008.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 54
  • Sealer removal 011.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 50
I

itstony

About o start a thread on applying sealer, but will use this one.

Finally found a sealer for Porcelain tiles in Spain. It's on order and wasn't esy to find.
It took the outlet a while to locate it, so can't be used much here.

The tech-brochure is pretty straight forward.
Application decribes to apply twice with a brush and do not let it go into the joints.

I'm sure this makes sense, to prevent a problem when grouting and bonding.
Is thay why?
I can see this being a right pain to prevent this happening without applying very, very carefully.
Is this usual practise for porcelain?

Reply to Applying sealer. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Applying sealer.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.