Discuss are you thinking about training? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rich83

just a heads up to any one wanting to get a tiling qualification. first off i have a c&g diploma. i cant work on site with this but it is essential part of nvq(except ewpa route).you dont need nvq for work off site ,you dont even need c&g ,but thats by the by.
when i was looking into tiling after years of poorly paid temp work.i found courses stating nvq/c&g.let me tell you,you cant get nvq in few weeks,unless you can prove youve been tiler for years.and as far as im aware c&g they offer is not the full award.and the price ,travel,and accomadation,is eye watering.i decided to do college.and to my horror ,it was free.(i was 26).i say horror because id stayed in rubbish jobs for ages under the illusion, i couldnt afford training,as well as the lengthy 2 years putting me off.it was free because, youre entitled to study for a level 2,if you havnt already done so!!! i had to do two year course as it was only one near me,and even then it was two and half hour round trip.you may be lucky and be near college,and some even offer one year option(i think nottingham and newcastle ,do them,some do anyway)...i hope,someone finds this useful.and my apologies for the grammar. oh and im sure their are reputable training providers out there ,im just saying it was not viable for me.as i stated you dont need to be qualified,anyway.

M

Mr T

Nice bit of info there mate thanks... Im already under the impression that the best way to learn is through college and the qualifications you gain will be the real thing so will be looking into a course soon but just doing what I can until I can go to an open day in august... Best thing would be to ge on some sort of apprentiship while also going to college but thats A perfect world lol

R

rich83

heres another funny thing.iwas eligible for apprentiship.but didnt know as government changed rules about age and i didnt realise.when i did find out,it was too late as done 3/4's of my course.doh. as it stands i finished course last year,continued being carer and know,not carer as gran has died. so know i need to get a regular job to get some tools and van,to then do some cheap work,either for my self or a tiler,to get experience,etc.trouble is cant get long enough employment opportunity to do this."proper pain in the buttocks,lol.if you are eligible for apprentiship,then push the issue.its all about experience. i enjoyed college,although you do mix with the odd spanner,who doesnt realise ,how great an opportunity they have,and can clown about abit.but its quite funny to watch,lol.i had good mix from 17-45.

R

rich83

id reccomend phoning,not letters.before i was told that i was not eligible. i went to a constructionskills test.multiple choice,etc.and when you pass,and if eligible.theyll pass youre details to people businesses who have shown an interest or have taken people in past.obviously no guarentee.so contact them,get booked in for test.but i would ring up firms,and from reading other posts,the bigger the firm the better the chance

good luck in your search for a apprenticeship i do hope you can find a way because imo it is the only way to learn the trade properly,yo cannot learn how to tile by just tiling some walls on a tiling course and i dont care what anybody says about that,try and get on with a tiler with experience then you should find out what tiling is really about ,im afraid to say though at the moment it is very tough in the tiling world and you may struggle,but please dont waste your money on a course and be led to believe that you can go out and be a tiler ,good luck

M

Mr T

Well I have done a month with a guy who is in the trade so ive gained some experience of the trade itself and now ive had a taste I rwally do wanna carry it on... Im gonna be going for an assessment next week at my local construction skills college to see whats best for me I should be starting a course by the end of the month and from there will try and fill my time best until the open days at the colleges in august.. Im hoping after the next 2 months someone more experienced in the trade will be willing to give me a chance as im doing everything I can think of so will be getting the yellow pages out again in a month or 2 lol

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to are you thinking about training? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We understand that you are visiting our site so as to locate a tough tile move that will improve...
Replies
Views
I have always recommended not tiling onto bonding ever since ive been reading it on here and...
Replies
Views
S
Ok so I'm just gonna put this out there.. Been in contact with a flooring company, this place is...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
G
Hi does anyone know of any course near me, I'm in Gosport Hampshire and im looking to do a...
Replies
Views
Michael Greenwood
M
R
Hi, just joined so that I can hopefully persuade one or more of you to come and help us teach...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB