UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Arrows on back of porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

come on !!!
someone must know the real answer .
just stating that you have seen them but not taken any heed or notice or thought given, before laying and anyway it was ok is not the answer we are looking for,surely.
being a stone man primarily, i dont have arrows on the back of my tiles and i have to make a decision about how i lay stone based on the linear marking in some tiles. but i would not do this without consulting my client . unless it was cross cut travertine for example i would lay the stone random as the striaton marks may turn as the tiles from block are cut

J

jonnyc

I should also add that i have had packs of tiles where they say that you should follow the arrow on the back and others where nothing is mentioned at all.
if you are told to follow the arrow, this brings a whole new dimension of problems whereby you should mark off cuts where the arrow has been cut off for future use , to be only used on that axis.
this in itself presents a huge problem if you are responsible for stating how much wastage should be allowed for.
if arrows mean nothing then we have nothing to worry about.
but to simply state that you have seen them but not even given any thought is puzzling

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Normally yes, but not always the case, also had some Cotto de este 60x60 recently that were a fraction difference in size one way to other, over a few tiles this makes a difference.

Even though the arrows are all pointing in the same direction it could be that some tiles are poor quality and the calibration is poor. Had it before when customers have bought tiles and they have all been the same batch numbers but they were out by mm even in the same box.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Would imagine they're to show you which way to follow a grain, then on non grained tiles perhaps they're just using the same underside template?

Only thing I've used which needed to follow the arrows were Klinker Sires as they had a bit of a difference you wouldn't notice until they were laid. Square tile but 2mm shorter on the arrow sides.

i had exactly the same problem with a job I did earlier this year. I had looked for an arrow but missed it, it turned into a nightmare as soon as the second row started to go down. On closer inspection I found a tiny arrow, ran them the same way and it was fine.

J

jonnyc

the arrows on the tiles show the way they where glazed and fired on hight glaze tiles can look like diffrent shades on walls if you dout follow the arrows next time you come acrross this put a tile under good light with the arrow facing up then turn the other tile round stand back and look at the shades see if it changes with the way the light hits it
this sounds like a good answer. who told you this ray.
doesnt it mean though that you may need to allow for more wastage than normal and have to ask if there are arrows on the back before you decide how many sq mts you need .also have to mark every off cut you have left over where you have already used part of tile with arrow on it!!
i had this recently on a big floor and we certainly used more than normal because we had arrows in same direction

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
this sounds like a good answer. who told you this ray.
doesnt it mean though that you may need to allow for more wastage than normal and have to ask if there are arrows on the back before you decide how many sq mts you need .also have to mark every off cut you have left over where you have already used part of tile with arrow on it!!
i had this recently on a big floor and we certainly used more than normal because we had arrows in same direction

I allways mark off cuts, so i know where arrows should be. If i start walls with arrows UP, i ceap it that way. ( only some off cuts stick with arrows down, but don't turn to left or right)

Reply to Arrows on back of porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

What would you guys do with the walls to prep for fitting 1200mm x 600mm Onice Verde (Porcelain)...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.