Discuss As a tiler, would I also need to know basic plumbing? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

Hi guys.

Getting close to the time when I ditch the desk and pick up the tools. But as well a tiling training, do I also need to be aware of any basic plumbing?

This won't apply to the bathroom/wetroom fitters among you, but for instance, as purely a tiler, you've been given a bathroom job. Are you insistent that the toilet, basin, radiator, shower, etc.... are removed before you go in to tile, or is this something you do yourselves?

I can't imagine any of these would be too difficult with a few lessons from someone in the know, but having only ever removed a radiator before, would these be essential things to learn to begin with?

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

'Need' is a strong word, 'help' is a better one.
In as much as it will probably help you to know how to remove and replace basic items
But certainly not a necessity.
Just don't let on to clients that you can do it, otherwise you'll forever be doing it on the cheap.
And it can be time consuming if you come across items that don't fit in a conventional manner.
And there are plenty of toilets and basins that fit that description.
Or you can learn a little just so that you can be pessimistic like Julian! :p

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
I've got a nice set up with my mate (plumber).
He strips it out :) then fits everything as normal but would pack everything out with wood/plasterboard and fits ballofix valves on everything.
Saves him from coming back and I just wip everything out in no time and then when tiled everything fits back in nicely.
Mind can do plumbing, joinery, electrical etc etc.
Only trade I ever struggled on was plastering, which seems strange for a tiler lol

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I would never touch plumbing, unless you're proficient and know what you're doing. If I'm doing a job where there is only 1 toilet I have my plumber come and take it out in the morning and put it back at night for the customer, and he builds that into his cost (although we try not to work too far from home). That way he's responsible for the water, and I don't want to be. What happens if you do, and a valve fails overnight and flood downstairs for example. I don't want any association with that, thank you.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to As a tiler, would I also need to know basic plumbing? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
To tiling contractors that hire tilers, where do you advertise to find tilers to fill the rolls...
Replies
Views
A
Hello All, I posted back in September and you were all very helpful with your advice on what to...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB