Discuss Asbeastos Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

LM

Hi wondering if anyone can give me some advise, was taking up a floor today in a 1960s block of flats, underneath the carpets was a set of vinyl square tiles which were layed on a sheet of wood. They were not stuck down and were quite flexible with a hessian type backing, only occurred to me after that they may contain asbeastos, anyone know anything about this ?
As John says they are most likely linoleum tiles. Linoleum needs the hessian backing to keep the material together and this in turns makes the tile very pliable. Asbestos tiles will have been stuck down with what's known in the trade as blackjack, it looks like tar or asphalt and the tiles if they're old will easily pop off the floor, they are also very brittle.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Asbeastos Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi guys Is anyone on this forum familiar with Mapei Pro Standard tile adhesive from Tile Giant...
Replies
Views
Ian Mead
I

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB