Discuss Attaching a cupboard in wetroom in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

X

xboxrob

Hi,

We have just moved into a house which has a wetroom installed as the bathroom is in the old coal storage location e.g. a small room with a low ceiling height. It contains a shower, toilet and sink but we really need somewhere to put our toiletries that are not on the floor.

The walls are completely tiled the whole way round. I tried to buy one of these no-screw shelves but this was a bit of a failure and I am wondering about fitting some kind of cupboard or storage unit to the wall. Obviously I am worried that if I drill through the tile I will go through some kind of protective coating on the sheeting on the wall and cause all sorts of problems :yikes:.

So does anyone have any ideas what I can do? Can I drill through the tile?

Thanks,
Rob

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Is it an actual wetroom as in there is no enclosed shower area?

I'd imagine above the sink you'll be fine. I couldn't see too much water bothering the wall behind the tile above the sink area.

Obviously of there is a waterproof barrier you will pierce it, but of doubt there's a barrier where the basin is to be honest.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I don't think there will be a waterproof barrier important enough, if at all, behind the basin area. The basin would have been fixed to the wall. Perhaps see if you can see any special fixings or any signs of tanking systems where the pipes come out the wall and the waste goes In to the wall.

If you can take a couple of pictures of under the basin the lads here will be able to clock I'm sure.

But as long as its intermittent wetting of that said wall, condensation can moisten the wall just the same so I'd not worry.

If you we're hanging it near the shower head, then if say avoid it hanging it and use a bucket to keep bits and bobs in instead (joke) but on a different wall, no bother IMO.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Attaching a cupboard in wetroom in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I tried to avoid asking this question as I'm sure you're all sick of seeing...
Replies
Views
S
Hi there I'm a DIYer putting in an upstairs wetroom floor. I'm currently at the stage of floor...
Replies
Views
SimpleSimon
S
M
hi guys I have just fitted a akw tuff form tray and Mapei tanking system to my upstairs bathroom...
Replies
Views
mikec200_0
M
C
Hi all, I'm not much of a forum poster, and am also new here to this one. Additionally, in...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB