Discuss Awkward. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Friend of my wife's wanted her kitchen floor tiled, she kept on and on at her to get me to go round and look at it.
So in turn my wife's going on and on at me, so this week I relented and went to have a look.
Straight forward job so I gave her a price while I was there, however I could tell by the look on her face it wasn't the price she expected !!
Now she's avoiding my wife won't speak to her and blocked her on Facebook...
And this is the exact reason why I didn't want to look at it in the bloody first place !!!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
These are the Only 2 mates I got..:(
20160701_212109.jpg

And I'll gladly tile there kennel for nowt..

O

One Day

Family and friends (of family) should be willing to pay the going rate, not to expect a discount.
After all, as a "friend" they'll be expecting a top job. Why should it be then be cheaper?

The worst offenders in my experience are people with non-jobs like middle managers or the legal profession, by that I mean people who actually make, produce or contribute absolutely NOTHING to society - they just suckle at the corporate teat.
These kinds have no understanding that our TIME as a tradesman is the most valuable thing that we have.

My mate's rate is completely free (when I can find the time - i.e. not very often at all)
Other than that, they can pay like everyone else and get an A1 job with a little bit more sparkle - coz we're friends.

F

Flintstone

Always a problem when it's a job for a friend, never goes perfectly.
I don't do mates rates really, only once when a friend had his first house and I was helping him at weekends doing some work on it.
I always explain that doing work for them cheaper is only costing me money as I could be earning full money elsewhere! Like imp said, I can just give them a bit better treatment! And normally discount on tiles and trade price materials.

If your wife's mate carries on like that she's no mate.
I've lost count of the number of jobs for 'mates' I've priced up only for them to not speak to me again

S

Spare Tool

Working for friends and family suck, they all expect something for nothing. My mum's after a first floor balcony tiling, the prep, heights and weights are a major issue with this balcony, after much deliberation I contacted Ray Porcelthin and he kindly went out of his way to send me some samples, these tiles are perfect and sort all the issues, so I've priced the whole job up at my trade prices, not added a bean on as its for my mum, there's probably a weeks work in this balcony which i was going to do at a greatly reduced labour rate anyhow but apparently now "I can do the job as a present for her golden wedding anniversary" so if your reading this.. NO mum, block me on fbook if you like but NO!!

Reply to Awkward. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB