UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss B&Q Sicily Tiles - Cleaning in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi
We've just retiled our kitchen with B&Q Sicily ceramic tiles in light beige, and we're finding that they are extremely hard to clean. They've a slightly rough surface which seems to retain the dirt - especially when our dog comes in without wiping his feet :)
The B&Q tiling man recommended that we use QEP Tile Sealer, but I'd just like to have someone confirm that as it doesn't actually say on the container that it's suitable for ceramic tiles.
If you know this stuff does the trick, or have used it yourself, please can you respond?
Cheers
Phil

D

david campbell

Sadly i've just laid my kitchen with the same tile and i'm having the same problem, b&q should'nt sell this rubbish, i should have learned from italian stuff like farraris, ducati and other cars and bikes that have italian origine, they're all show and high maintanence.
Phil, if you managed to get a solution can you let me know please.
MIKE

sadly thats all b&q sell tile wise------absolute rubbish!!!!!!!!!!
cheap second grade tiles at best and have customers believing they are good quality

R

RickyRaqeeb

I think i may have found a solution. When i put an oil based substance on them it brought out the colour. The sealant did not seem to do that. So i went over the bathroom tiles with Vasaline and rub into the tile. This brought out the colour as if the tile was wet. The tiles are all the same colour and seem to have stayed this colour now. I know it sound silly but i had to take desperate measures. Try it on one tile

I

ishy

Has anyone actually tried flash lemon floor cleaner and got on thier hands and knees with the appropiat cloth or sponge to clean the light biege tiles? i'm up london and had some fitted to a house i'm renting and the tenant said she was having problems cleaning the tiles, i went and got a tile from BQ stood on it put dirt on it wiped dirty engine oil on it and it cleaned off very good with flash lemon floor cleaner.
Unfortunatley the tile is light and has a slightly sandy finnish on it so with it not being smooth ceramic it is going to take more effort, lifes not always easy!!

J

jay

I think i may have found a solution. When i put an oil based substance on them it brought out the colour. The sealant did not seem to do that. So i went over the bathroom tiles with Vasaline and rub into the tile. This brought out the colour as if the tile was wet. The tiles are all the same colour and seem to have stayed this colour now. I know it sound silly but i had to take desperate measures. Try it on one tile

now thats desperate
not something id recomend
vasaline is a lubricant and may make tiles slippery
after time it will dry out then you will have to re apply
now they are coated in vasiline you will find it hard to get any sealer to take to it if you find a sealer you wish to try
dust and dirt may be harder to remove now
sorry not the news you wanted to hear

I

ishy

I'd like to go back on what i said regarding the sicily light beige tiles they are not that bad, if you know how to do a bit of cleaning.
The tiles do acctually look good if they are laid propaly and like any floor, carpet, floor covering, wood flooring,it needs looking after.
If you have a dirty dog either get some smooth polished tiles that you can mop after, hose the dog down before you bring it in or kick the dog outside were dogs should be anyway to eat thier own vomit and excriment and lick themselves, but watch out that the dog does'nt bark to much anouying the neighbours

I

ishy

I'd like to thank ishy for the solution to cleaning the sicily tiles. Thankyou Ishy for finding the solution to cleaning the sicily tiles.
Stay tuned to finding more solutions to lifes problems.
Lifes a stage and we all must play our part, and remember just because this is a tile site, whilst on it you may get a dark cloud comming over you because of another problem so instead of diverting away from this page to another, just try asking on this site and you most probably will get a good result

J

jay

I'd like to thank ishy for the solution to cleaning the sicily tiles. Thankyou Ishy for finding the solution to cleaning the sicily tiles.
Stay tuned to finding more solutions to lifes problems.
Lifes a stage and we all must play our part, and remember just because this is a tile site, whilst on it you may get a dark cloud comming over you because of another problem so instead of diverting away from this page to another, just try asking on this site and you most probably will get a good result

ishy i think your a few sheep short in the top paddock there

L

linniebird

Thanks to all who've contributed on this thread. I had considered these exact same tiles myself for the wetroom I'm planning to have installed. They seemed to fit the bill as they have a non-slip surface area, but I did wonder how they might retain dirt and stains and whether they'd clean up ok. Considering I'll be needing tiles for an area of 38 sq m, I'd say you guys have stopped me from making an expensive mistake. BIG THANK YOU :) !!!! I'll be getting my tiles from a reputable supplier ...

Thanks to all who've contributed on this thread. I had considered these exact same tiles myself for the wetroom I'm planning to have installed. They seemed to fit the bill as they have a non-slip surface area, but I did wonder how they might retain dirt and stains and whether they'd clean up ok. Considering I'll be needing tiles for an area of 38 sq m, I'd say you guys have stopped me from making an expensive mistake. BIG THANK YOU :) !!!! I'll be getting my tiles from a reputable supplier ...

Try and get something with an R11 anti slip rating. You will be able to find ranges that have both the normal type of surface, and with the matching Anti Slip from a good retailer. Most ranges from abroad are offered with both surface types, and even if your outlet doesn't stock the R11, they might well be able to source it to order? I'd say for 38m it would be worth them making some enquiries for you!

Re cleaning of tiles, I used to have a bucket that had two water sections, one for soapy water and the other for just water, which you use to rinse the dirt off the mop, before plonking it in the soapy water so that you don't go on to smear your dirty water back all over the floor! Also, I used to dry the floor with an old towel wrapped round the mop head so it could be walked on instantly. My shop floor was always sparkling by using this method! I used to sell stacks of HG floor cleaner, per application it's much cheaper than your 'flash' or regular branded cleaners. Dearer to buy, but you use far less per bucket and as it's designed to clean tiles (not everything!) it works so much better.....

I've just noticed your from Brighton - please drop me a line if you need any help with anything! I used to supply most of the shops round here so I know them well, and seeing as I'm moving into fitting myself now, I'd love to take a look at what you're planning, if only to practice my measuring up skills! I won't be harassing you to try and get a job, in any case, I'm nowhere near ready for a wet room yet! It's all good practice though, and I should be able to help you out somewhere along the line....

Dan

Reply to B&Q Sicily Tiles - Cleaning in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Im looking for Colours Castle Travertine Satin Plain or patterned Stone Effect Ceramic Wall Tile...
Replies
Views
F
Hi all I am torn between a tile at B&Q which is cheap at £12 a sq metre (ceramic, printed HD)...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
G
Hi, 5 years ago I had my bathroom walls completely tiled with: B&Q Palace Travertine Dark Wall...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.