UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss B&Q Sicily Tiles - Cleaning in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

we install kitchens and bathrooms for wickes and have just done a bathroom with these tiles, supplied by the customer , they are probably the worst tile we have ever used , even staining when using a wet cutter . They are porous so any grouts etc that are used are absorbed by the tile , apparently they should be sealed but nowhere does it say this consequently customer didn't pay as unhappy with the job , so thanks to b&q for selling seconds!

U

Unregistered

I have a similar problem with some porcelain tiles I have. They're Spanish, so you can't just blame the Italians (and I didn't get them in B & Q either)!! I have to scrub them with a scourer (I have started a thread about this further up). Haven't tried flash lemon - thanks for tip, I will get some - , but heavy duty grout cleaner won't get it off with just mopping, does have to be scrubbed which is quite labour intensive on 30m2!! I'll also try that Fz thing.

U

Unregistered

We have the light beige Sicily tiles in a shower room and yes it took 3 cleans with the tile cleaner to get them cleaned down from grout to a fairly good finish. They do absorb some water and the floor marks easily but we use floor mats to keep it fairly clean. Wish read this before bought them. Have bought some spray Seal Guard grout and tile protector and used 1 coat on an old tile in the shed. It improved the spare tile as the water no longer soaked in when smeared it over. Will try it on the shower area soon and then on the floor. It has not changed the appearance of the tile so here's hoping will work well and sort out the problem of water and dirt.Very poor of B & Q these are ceramic and not supposed to require sealing. Shame because they are a really nice looking tile.

G

griffiti

Actually we are really pleased with them. I went to B&Q and got some more. When I was there I noticed they also had boxes of the old design and one was open. Feeling the surface between the new version and old version, they were massively different. The old ones were dusty and rough and the new ones are not dusty at all and are very smooth. It seems as though they have sorted out the issue but strangely the are now dis-continuing them anyway.

Anyway they look great and do not hold any stains. My wife even poured tea on a spare one and left over night and no issues. quick wipe with a cloth and good as new

:drool5:

U

Unregistered

I bought a load of these last month and just had a tiler put them on the bathroom wall. After doing a days work and returning back to the house the following day he rang me (I work away) to say that the adhesive had soaked through the tile, fading the area, making it look like a polka dot room. Such a shame as I loved the tiles and got them in clearance sale at B&Q (hmmm now I know why they were cheap!).

I'm still yet to get home to look at it myself.....does anyone know of this problem? Tiler said he had never seen such a reaction on a tile...will it dry out? Clean off? If not Im kicking off with B&Q for selling me a faulty product that they obviously know is rubbish (thus discontinuing it)...do I have ANY chance?! ffs

Interestingly we bought the "new" style version which shouldnt be used with the old style..........I had to buy some loose ones due to the limited a mount of stock and these loose ones have been fine with not discolouring when stuck on the wall

Stressful, annoying and scandalous

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I don't suppose your tiler has used blobs of adhesive to fix the tiles to the wall rather than troweling the adhesive out properly?

Only you say he sais it looks like a polka dot room now, and that suggests there are blobs of adhesive holding the tiles on the wall instead of having full coverage on the back of the tiles?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to B&Q Sicily Tiles - Cleaning in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Im looking for Colours Castle Travertine Satin Plain or patterned Stone Effect Ceramic Wall Tile...
Replies
Views
F
Hi all I am torn between a tile at B&Q which is cheap at £12 a sq metre (ceramic, printed HD)...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
G
Hi, 5 years ago I had my bathroom walls completely tiled with: B&Q Palace Travertine Dark Wall...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.