Discuss B&Q Tiles... disgrace!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pf tiling

Hi,

Am I the only distressed tiler that has to deal with the tiles sold at B&Q?? it's very rare that the tiles are exactly the same size and by the time you've realised you've already laid 3 rows on rapid set and the spacers are throwing your lines out... then you have to stop using spacers to compensate for size differences...it just ruins a job, and it's not on, for customers and tilers... absoloutly laughable!! How do they get away with it??

P

pf tiling

well from experience, i've found that the common tiles for this are the 300 x 300 (apparently) with the bevelled edge. And garrythetiler, I usually do use 4m spacers on that type of tile to compensate for any adjustments. However, this particular customer wanted 2mm grout lines. I hear what your all saying, but can you honestly say that you check every tile before you've even preped the floor, that would take 2 hours alone!! It shouldn't have to be done, that's my point! luckily i've had a few encounters of this sort and have learned to compensate accordingly, but when i've just taken a slice of a customers wallet for a job it just makes me think how wrong it is. Customer was happy, but I wasnt!

P

pf tiling

I agree to an extent, but even cheaper tiles in travertine, granite, marble or polished porcelain.... you never come across this problem.... it's a job your proud to put your name to.....maby I look to far into perfection and overlook the overall quality of the job, but it's just things I notice that the untrained eye doesn't, and it get's right on my ****

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

well from experience, i've found that the common tiles for this are the 300 x 300 (apparently) with the bevelled edge. And garrythetiler, I usually do use 4m spacers on that type of tile to compensate for any adjustments. However, this particular customer wanted 2mm grout lines. I hear what your all saying, but can you honestly say that you check every tile before you've even preped the floor, that would take 2 hours alone!! It shouldn't have to be done, that's my point! luckily i've had a few encounters of this sort and have learned to compensate accordingly, but when i've just taken a slice of a customers wallet for a job it just makes me think how wrong it is. Customer was happy, but I wasnt!

might be a habit you need to get into check tiles shade caliber and size before starting the job and defiantly mix all tiles (shading) saves a lot of trouble later

O

ozboz

Topps sell some the worst I have ever had to fix, but if the correct guidelines are followed then there should not be to much of a problem. Gotta say, I feel that there is to much dependance on spacers, before they came along we just used to make a staff using tiles from different packages, from there it was possible to define a nominal joint for that particular installation, nowadays there are some very well made tiles so spacers can be utilized ensuring that joint are true, but there is also an element of lesser quality, and as fore mentioned, that does not always mean top brand names are any better, I fixed some Villery & Boch stuff . terrible !!. When all else fails, go back to basics and you should climb over any problems of this nature ....... Steve aka ozboz

S

Spud

can you tile a floor without spacers? it is important you learn especially if you use hand made tiles, terracotta and quarries, using spacers can send you out of square over a large area and you should be relying on pythagoras theorem when tiling, not spacers, hope this helps:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to B&Q Tiles... disgrace!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm Looking For This Tile Looking for some old b&q tiles
Hi! Has anyone got any of these stone effect tiles approx 278x362mm that b&q sold about seven...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
K
I have a serious issue with B&Q Fiji and Ardos Woven tiles in white and also grey. The tiles are...
Replies
Views
F
Hi all I am torn between a tile at B&Q which is cheap at £12 a sq metre (ceramic, printed HD)...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
K
hi can anyone help me We moved into our newly renovated period property last year. The developer...
Replies
Views
Kay84
K

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
B&Q Tiles... disgrace!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.