Discuss Backer Board or Ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Im begining to think that tie backer board could be the future but up until now ive been a ply man. As you know with ply comes the dreaded 15mm step/change in level which sometimes make the job look odd or customer ask you to use thinner which isnt ideal.

So my queson is who still uses ply or if backer board the way everyones is going and if so any recommendations and tips on fitting.

Cheers again.:smilewinkgrin:

checked out similar threads and seems backer board is the fav so have answered my own question. So i guess ill b using BB on floors instead of ply but what about the walls? MR Plasterboard tanked if need be or BB on walls too and if so is that insead of the BB or is BB fixed ontop of MRPB? strange quesions but just wanting to cover all bases including builders fitting MRPB before my arrival.

P

Peter

Been on a mission to use backerboard lately. For the first time in my life, I used some about a fortnight ago. Good gear, just need to try and get customers and builders to be a bit more educated about stuff like that. Was just thinking the other day that more or less every job I've looked at that's failed has had ply as a factor. Ask the main builder to plasterboard out shower walls now, even that's an ordeal as the builders in Northern Ireland just think ply ply ply for every situation.

Most customers in this part of the country refuse to pay £15 a metre for something that they'll not see.

I think part of it is supply too. Tile shops don't really stock it, the only place I know where to get cement boards are B&Q. Is around £12 a reasonable price for 6mm Hardie Backer?

P

Pebbs

Mike,

I put ditra on most jobs these days, we were talking about this at breakfast last week, (it all got a bit heated, ohh ohh any minute now someones going to get a fried egg slapped on their face I thought). What we were saying is that years ago, nobody ever bothered with ditra, backerboards, etc, and now days were so terrified of getting a phone call during the retention period, were using it as an insurance policy, even when we know the substrate is good. We physically cant take the risk of some of these floors being replaced, even though we know full well on a lot of the jobs the floors will be ripped up and replaced in 2-3 years time.

Lynn

T

tfs

I tend to use ply 9 times out of ten due to cost and majority of customers not willing to pay.

There are situations where backer board is the best option though in my opinion e.g. wetrooms and steam rooms etc

As mentioned by Scottley, there is a belief by many that backer board is a srtrong as thick plywood, this is not the case (I have heard retailers make that claim). So in these cases you need to take whatever measure required to strenghten the floor.

Reply to Backer Board or Ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone thanks for having me on the this forum ill try not to break any rules. I am diyer...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Scotland

Thread Information

Title
Backer Board or Ply
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks