UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Backerboard or Self levelling or both?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bendy

Hi there,

I posted a while ago prior to carrying out prep work for tiling a new bathroom with Travertine. I followed the recommendation and adhered backerboard over the plastered walls using weber SPF rapid and mechanical fixings but would like some further advice on the floor.

At present the floor has 18mm WBF plywood screwed down onto 8 x 2 joist with extra noggins fitted to ensure all sides are supported. It is pretty rigid and you need to jump up and down in the middle of the room (3.2m x 2.4m) to get a glass of water to ripple. Initially i was going to adhere backerboard over the ply, again using wbere SPF rapid but having checked the floor level and there are a few high points and also a gradual fall diagnally across the room (about 15-20mm between highest corner and lowest corner). Obviously the builder didn't have a very good level on this extention build.

As i'm now fitting 600 x 600 polished porcelein tiles on the floor (again with Weber SPF rapid) i'm a little worried about getting them level and also how much adhesive would be required to ensure the floor is level over the high points and also with the fall. Would it be best to either put down some flexible SLC over the plywood or alternative fit the backerboard and then put down Flex SLC. This would give a good level substrate to tile onto.

Also i've now decided to fit 600 x 300 travertine wall tiles on the backer-board instead of the original plan of 400 x 300. I have already gone out and purchased Weber.Set plus so wanted to know if this adhesive will still be suitable for the bigger sized tiles or do i need to add AD250 to it?

Many thanks

Ben

M

Mike

if you've only laid the ply and no sanitary ware i would lift the ply and fit new joists adjacent to old ones (levelling them obviously) you could screw or bolt the 2 joists together . failing this you could self level before or after the backerboards but it will take a lot of slc and check the maximum depth possible in one go. some slc's will go to 50mm in one hit. the adhesive will be fine for the travertine tiles mentioned

M

Mike

Lets try again.

As the backerboard has now been installed on the walls and the plywood tucks under it a little at either end i cannot pull it up without causing damage.

What SLC would you recommend for applying onto the plywood, which is already primed with Weber PR360?

Many thanks

I only use mapei renovation screed but Im not sure if it will go to 20mm in one hit as I've never needed to go that deep. read the bag or check the online tech. Data. It is fibre enhanced for use on wood floors

tapatalk on my HTC

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Backerboard or Self levelling or both?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
So I may have done an oopsie. We are putting self-levelling compound down over floor where I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Will this work? (top to bottom) tiling (one room), 12mm laminate (other room) 19mm T&G chipboard...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.