UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss background for tiling a shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

HardieBacker1

Marko56,
I have just had a scan through the messages, here are some pointers......

1 - you want to plasterboard and then tank?
2 - you want to load heavy tiles
3 - you looked at backer boards but expensive.

Ok.. to the first one you can just use HardieBacker as 1 its impervious to water so won't breakdown like the plasterboard and 2 you don't need to tank the product.
HardieBacker can hold much more weight than plasterbaord. Our literature states it can hold 50kg m2, we have since done some new testing which has resulted in over 80m2 using a good adhesive.
HardieBacker is not expensive, if you use plasterboard and then tank that will cost more! plus you need the tanking to dry for 24 hours before tiling!

Hope this helps.

D

doug boardley

Marko56,
I have just had a scan through the messages, here are some pointers......

1 - you want to plasterboard and then tank?
2 - you want to load heavy tiles
3 - you looked at backer boards but expensive.

Ok.. to the first one you can just use HardieBacker as 1 its impervious to water so won't breakdown like the plasterboard and 2 you don't need to tank the product.
HardieBacker can hold much more weight than plasterbaord. Our literature states it can hold 50kg m2, we have since done some new testing which has resulted in over 80m2 using a good adhesive.
HardieBacker is not expensive, if you use plasterboard and then tank that will cost more! plus you need the tanking to dry for 24 hours before tiling!

Hope this helps.
got to disagree, water can pass through hardie backer boards.

H

HardieBacker1

Doug and Rich,

I think you are both missing the point of what a backerboards job is to do.
Gone are the days when plasterboard was your only option as gypsum simply fails when exposed to water. Using products like HardieBacker gives you a solution as they are water resistant, therefore won't breakdown which can then result in your tiles dropping off the wall.
Also mold grows on the paper facing on plasterbaord which again breaks the product down. HardieBacker is mold resistant so again will always stay stable under these conditions.

So with this being said a backer board protects your tiles from failing in wet areas, which a plasterboard cannot do.
Water from a shower head will not 'pass through' HardieBacker if installed correctly.

Thanks

M

marko56

Ok - after plenty of faffing about I've now put in my studwork and am ready to fix my wedi board (2500x 625 x 12.5 - £22 + vat from CTD), however I've been quoted £40 + vat for a 10m x 120mm roll of sealing tape for all corners and where the boards meet - I'll need 2 of these to do the job - £96!!!!!:yikes: - that hurts! - any alternatives that will do the job as well - I know Wedi won't honour any guarantee if I don't use their tape but that is way too expensive - thanks again for your help.

Reply to background for tiling a shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
S
Hello all From across the Pond !! Florida here.. Tradesman looking to purchase a Sigma for use...
Replies
Views
SurfHunter
S
D
Hi Thanks to all who provided advice on my bathroom project 3 years ago, tiling both the...
Replies
Views
swanman
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.