Discuss Bad tiling job - what to do in the General Off-topic Chat area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dwillie123

I've just had a new kitchen installed and the company has done a great job on everything except the tiling. There are multiple areas of fault including ; unfinished edges under cabinets, chipped/badly cut tiles, inconsistent grout gaps and bad trim edges.
I chose white metro tiles and black grout and appreciate that this could have made the job harder plus a portion of my window area isn't the flushest of walls but I still feel that the tiling is not acceptable. I'm on good terms with the guys and would hope I can either get them to fix it or if not I'm happy to get a tiler in.
My main question is will there be a lot of damage if I get someone to basicly take the tiles off and start again. Personally I think this would be the best way to deal with it and I'd be much happier doing that and am prepared for that but I obviously don't want to ruin my nice new kitchen.
Any thoughts/advice desperately needed??

O

One Day

any photos?!

it shouldn't be too hard to remove and re-do, without damaging the kitchen.
I probably speak for most though when i say that i would politely decline black grout with metros.
uneven tiles like metros will create uneven joints, and the huge contrast with black grout makes it even worse.
Not to mention the staining on any unglazed edges...

O

One Day

Ok I'm open to compromise/change but I like the look of the black grout with white tile. If I redid it with a flush white tile would that be any easier or should I just stear clear of black grout all together
if you want really crisp lines as you should, your tiler needs rectified tiles, not pressed ones with rounded, uneven edges like metros.
It is of course possible to make a nice job using metros and black grout, but requires HUGE effort and time. Both of which cost money better, and easier spent on better tiles in my opinion.

D

Dwillie123

if you want really crisp lines as you should, your tiler needs rectified tiles, not pressed ones with rounded, uneven edges like metros.
It is of course possible to make a nice job using metros and black grout, but requires HUGE effort and time. Both of which cost money better, and easier spent on better tiles in my opinion.

So if I went for something simple i.e a plain white rectangular tile that would be easier for the tiler to get my desired finish?

T

Tommythetiler80

Morning, I do hope you get your problem resolved in a satisfactory manor. Being a tiler myself I can definitely say that when a customer says that they'd like to have black grout it can just challenge even the most patient of tradesmen, not to mention it can wreck your tools , buckets and sponges! And even surrounding areas so great care must be taken to avoid unnecessary staining from the black pigment in the grout.

D

Dwillie123

IMG_3158.JPG
IMG_3159.JPG
IMG_3161.JPG
IMG_3162.JPG
IMG_3163.JPG
IMG_3164.JPG
IMG_3166.JPG
IMG_3167.JPG
IMG_3169.JPG
IMG_3170.JPG
IMG_3171.JPG

T

Time's Ran Out

From your first post I get the impression the tiling was done by the kitchen company and NOT a tiler (as you suggested getting a Tiler in to rectify).
Your photos indeed confirm this as that is totally unacceptable workmanship.
No one with pride would leave such a mess both in the standard of tiling and the 'clean up' or not as in this case.
It will most likely be tubbed adhesive and so all off and start again with the kitchen company providing all costs would be my recommendation.
Stand by for the onslaught!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dwillie123

Well yes the kitchen company said what they could provide but I was never aware of a subcontracted tiler being used so yes not a pro tiler.
Yes it was evostick rubbed adhesive they left it behind. That was my thought is that achievable without causing too much damage to the walls or units? Yes I'm sure they won't be too pleased however we've begun to discuss a discount which may just be the tiling costs removed.
Any idea how much s full removal and retile would cost it's about 3m2? I'm
In the south east as well

T

Time's Ran Out

Prices are not normally discussed in open forum, but you really need not just the tiling costs removed but also the costs associated with the removal of all tiles and repair of walls, cleaning of units and window upvc.
Have a look on this forum 'tilers in your area' to get an indication of costs for 3sq mts of metro tiling.
Don't be concerned about upsetting this kitchen company - this is bad work and you need total removal and reinstatement for the next tiler at their expense as well as compensation for the upheaval.
Make a stand!

Q

Qwerty

Well yes the kitchen company said what they could provide but I was never aware of a subcontracted tiler being used so yes not a pro tiler.
Yes it was evostick rubbed adhesive they left it behind. That was my thought is that achievable without causing too much damage to the walls or units? Yes I'm sure they won't be too pleased however we've begun to discuss a discount which may just be the tiling costs removed.
Any idea how much s full removal and retile would cost it's about 3m2? I'm
In the south east as well

We don't allow discussion of prices in the open forums I'm afraid.

Feel free to post a new work request in our 'looking for a tiler' section and I'm sure one of our members could quote you.

D

Dwillie123

Yes no I am beginning to see the difficulties of my choice and I wish the "tiler" had said he wasn't confident in doing it rather than doing it anyway. I have already begun thinking about using flat rectangular tiles and a different grout.
Is it best to stick with white or are there others that look good but without the difficulties of black.

I've also learnt the biggest lesson is to stick with singular tradesmen who are pros rather than those who try and do it all. Jack of all trades and all that

T

Time's Ran Out

I don't think that we are saying you should stick to separate trades. We have many excellent multi traders on the forum and it's more a question of doing your homework prior to accepting a quote and being confident of the outcome. In your case now the manner in which your kitchen company resolve this issue will be paramount in how you will enjoy your new kitchen.
Everyone thinks they can tile, but as it's a finishing trade it's really important to have a skill/experience in that trade to get the required result.
On the subject of tile and grout it's your personal choice and done correctly it will look ok. Ok as it's a popular choice at this time but could date or age as 'in vogue' changes. These tiles do look better perhaps with a mid/dark grey - personal opinion.
Keep us in the loop regarding progress.

Reply to Bad tiling job - what to do in the General Off-topic Chat area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, it's my first time here and I'm desperate to solve this problem. Can someone please tell me...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB