Discuss bad walls&floors in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cone

Been out to price a job in an old house, parts of the walls the plaster/scratch coath has failed and is coming off and when I put a level on the other walls, there's a few large humps which is taking me out about 2inch at top of tge level. There's some prep work needed but wanting to know what's best.

I was thinking either cement backer board or gypsum plasterboard but leaning towards the backer board for its strength. If I do choose to cover the room in backer board, will I need to prime walls before tiling. When working above the doorframe, the backer board is going sit out along with the tiles, is there a thicker bead I can get to cover this?

C

cone

Personally I'd be removing any bad plaster, I would also be hesitant about over fixing anything on bad substrate.

TBH there's only small patches on one wall where plaster has failed, the other walls where the large humps are, the plaster is OK. Was thinking of sticking the backer board to the wall with rapid set adhesive and also screw it. The walls are in a bad way and I think this would be the best approach but worried about over and around the door.

D

David Rowell

Been out to price a job in an old house, parts of the walls the plaster/scratch coath has failed and is coming off and when I put a level on the other walls, there's a few large humps which is taking me out about 2inch at top of tge level. There's some prep work needed but wanting to know what's best.

I was thinking either cement backer board or gypsum plasterboard but leaning towards the backer board for its strength. If I do choose to cover the room in backer board, will I need to prime walls before tiling. When working above the doorframe, the backer board is going sit out along with the tiles, is there a thicker bead I can get to cover this?

Ayup the around the doors...is there architraves already on? If yes remove architraves and glue some dressed timber on the back and then re pin it on and touch up with paint after.

Hope this helps

C

cone

Ayup the around the doors...is there architraves already on? If yes remove architraves and glue some dressed timber on the back and then re pin it on and touch up with paint after.

Hope this helps

There is no architraves on the door but was thinking of putting some but that will only be flush with the board. The tiles will still stick out! I know I can put a bead over the architrave where tile will overhang it but its something I've never did before and think it wouldn't look right IMO.

C

cone

I'm assuming it's a brick wall? If so hack off all the crap and dot and dab new plasterboard. No need to go to expense of backer board if it's not needed. If it's stud wall rip down and re stud.

Its a block extension tied into an old stone house. Its a downstairs bathroom with shower in the corner. I was thinking of going for the plasterboard but thought the cement board would be the better option. Would dat and dab be strong enough to hold all the tiles or should I screw it on with clips as well for extra strength.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to bad walls&floors in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
How would you go about tiling a floor and or wall that's massively out of plumb ? When things...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB