Guest viewing is limited

Discuss bal - variset xp in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

facetile

Hi all.

Anyone ever used Bal variset XP adhesive before?

I used it recently on an area that i needed to walk on quickly after fixing.

You can control setting times by simply adding a liquid with the mixed adhesive. Brilliant.

Only used it on a small area of the job as it was set in 10 minutes.

It so happened that my assessor for my NVQ was visiting me at the time i was using the variset XP. It was a product he was familiar with through Bal training update.

Third and final site visit all complete:smilewinkgrin:.

Just waiting for certificate to arrive:thumbsup:

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Yes, always have a bag in my van.
Rarely use with liquid.
Yes relatively expensive, but the time saving aspect gets you your money back.

Without liquid I would use for....

Kitchen tiling : washing machine & fridge freezer in way, quick small mix,wait 10 mins then stick back in place.
Bathrooms, ie under sink or toilet, same as !!
Above window reveals
Steps
Quick repair jobs or high traffic areas ( commercial especially )
Saturday job, small porch or bathroom floor, dry lay, stick tiles,go for cuppa & ***,grout 10 mins after, get paid then home. No more waiting around for adhesive to set.
Brilliant !!

Only mix as much as you can spread in about 6 mins.
Liquid comes in handy for larger areas, as you can give yourself a bit more open time,but still control set time.:thumbsup:

Y

I have never seen boil the kettle and mix on any manufacturers instructions, and yet you always state to follow said instructions.

weird eh.

my merchants are doing variset for £18 a bag so not that dear if you just need a to patch a wall or fix a few tiles.

Keep up the good work.................

Was only my reply to a guy asking about a product that I have used and like.
Find it strange that some would dismiss a product although they have never actually tried it.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Once you've been in the trade many years though, you get a feel for what you need for a job, that's all.

We still no the costs, the meterage, the texture we can guess, the setting times can be varied, we know that, what else do you need to know to know if a product is worth it or not?

If you can get it for £18 a bag, I could see very small floors or something it could be handy on. But to be honest, if I had some rapid set in the van, I'd just wait another 10-15 mins and let that set at like £8 per bag.

Y

would also like to add...
Did a cellar steps job a month or so ago. 12 steps, started from bottom. Did my cuts for 2 steps at a time. Used vari set. Job in total took 5 hours, finished and grouted.
One bag Variset used, no additive,small mixes at a time. Steps could be walked on in around 12 mins.
Did not have a kettle handy at the time !:thumbsup:

the 5 hours was from arriving, to leaving,including moving all my tools to cellar and back, lunch and clearing up. Also cutting lengths of schluter step trim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Fair play. Those are the bitty jobs though where you do need to mix small amounts, of any adhesive. And with the right planning, you'd have been able to walk on one side while you tiled the other, and visa versa, and still be done in 5 hours. I think.

Fair play for making an innovative product, but at the end of the day it's sand and cement and beyond rapid set, unless it's going to tile it for me, I couldn't warrant the price.

D

DHTiling

I have never seen boil the kettle and mix on any manufacturers instructions, and yet you always state to follow said instructions.

weird eh.

my merchants are doing variset for £18 a bag so not that dear if you just need a to patch a wall or fix a few tiles.

Keep up the good work.................

Was only my reply to a guy asking about a product that I have used and like.
Find it strange that some would dismiss a product although they have never actually tried it.

Err,, I have tried it..

still won't buy it.. when i can get rapid setting adhesive for around £8 a bag 25kg..

£18 is a joke..

Reply to bal - variset xp in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
The wife wants to renew kitchen wall and floor tiles and we have been looking for a few weeks...
Replies
Views
C
We have a bungalow built on a sloping site so the floor at the back is around 1.5 metres above...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
O
So after a couple of weeks trialing @ISOMAT UK products, thought it was time to give initial...
Replies
Views
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
bal - variset xp
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.