Discuss BAL WP1 Shower kit in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

trammel

Evening all,
I have had a problem with a BAL WP1 shower kit. The shower will be fitted in a corner, one wall bonding coat and skimmed, the other plasterboard and skimmed. Both walls left for five weeks to dry out.

I sanded both walls and then used a stiff brush to remove any surface dust to get a key. Applied APD as per instructions, left to dry then put on two coats of membrane using the polyester tape as per instructions.

However when I removed the masking tape where the shower enclosure will meet a painted wall, the coating peeled of in one large piece(4 square metres). The only place it has adherered is where coating meets the paint mist coat.

Am I a muppet and missed something?.:huh2:

Any advice welcome

F

frogeye

hmmmmmmmmmmm

I had a similar - yet much smaller problem - when I used the same kit. I tiled over plaster - used the supplied primer as directed - applied 2 coats and when ready to tile I accidentally snagged the surface - a blister the size of a 50p piece appeared. Not knowing the material I reapplied and proceeded as normal - nothing has fell off to date - but it always bugged me that the bond with the plaster wasn't what I thought it should be. Oh and no dust problems either

frogeye

F

frogeye

It was a few months since I used it and the box is in the garage and as I am into my 2nd g & T and its cold and dark, that is where it will stay, BUT, I am sure I followed the instructions to the letter - no, I will go further - I DID follow the instructions.
I will be doing a shower enclosure very soon and using what's left so I will report back. If I get the stud wall and plasterboard done I hope to make a start before Monday - any later than that and I will be in aus for a well earned holiday. Tasmania here we come!!!!!!!!!!
frogeye

Reply to BAL WP1 Shower kit in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
Hi, I am a keen DIYer and have chosen an Impey Aqua Dec 4 and waterguard tanking kit. The Aqua...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m fitting a Nova Frameless 1000 x 800 Sliding Door Shower Enclosure with a low profile...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
BAL WP1 Shower kit
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.