Discuss Basalt Recommendations in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

basaltlover

Hi Everyone,
New to the forum but I love perusing the posts and learning new tricks.

In two days I'll be tiling my shower with 4 x 12 honed basalt tiles that are 3/8" thick. I've received a couple of different recommendations on the best application method. Best I can tell people seem to prefer back buttering with a straight edge trowel and using a 3/16 v notch on the wall/floor. Does this seem right with the gurus on this forum?

I plan to use an impregnator but again people seem divided. Should I apply before we tile or once the tiles are on the wall?

I know its crazy but I'm going to attempt a 1/16 grout line (at least at first). Any recommendations on grout?

Any other recommendations for basalt would be welcome since this is my first time working with the stone and its in my own home so my wife would appreciate it if it looked nice :)

T

tfs

fit the tiles by trowelling to wall only at first, lifting them again to see if you achieve good coverage without back buttering, if not, then back butter. Be sure to lift every few tiles to contstanly check that you are getting a good bond.

I have fitted large format basalt and sealed after but for peice of mind it is best to seal before and then after!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Basalt Recommendations in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Basalt Recommendations
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.