UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss basalt tiles - will this dry ok? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
can i just say im quite amazed how many tilers are lurking around here on a sunday morning :)

If your builder was any good,he would have got a pro tiler for the job,and the maybe there would be one less tiler on here because he would be working on your floor. :smilewinkgrin:

J

jay

38707d1329640119-basalt-tiles-will-dry-ok-img_1220.jpg
OMG

SPOT THE PROBLEM,

Builder are ment to build tilers are ment to tile .Think the builder has a bit of a problem there

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
why have a builder to do the tiling? we hear the same problems week in week out on here unfortunately. i finished repairing a builders botched tiling job this morning, what a mess it was. :mad2:

Funny cos I never had a builder ring me and ask me to put a roof on an extension.

nybor62

TF
rotherham
can you clarify what adhesive was used , there are adhesives that are used specifically for that type of product , rapid setting , which virtually eliminates the chance of staining, ask your builder what he used and get back to us , he obviously knows nothing about tiling and even less about the right products to use for that type of instulation, if he had used solid bed method and back skimmed the tiles any variation in colour would have been uniformed , hope this makes sense

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi again technodad,i think someone has already answered you and said they may dry out ...you could of course wait and see if this happens? even if they do though i beleive the install will at some point in the future fail due to fixing methods...not good news i know

if a pro tiler is employed who knows what hes doing and uses corrct fixing methods and materials including substrate prep you will have no issues,you can use the im looking for a tiler section on hee if thats the route you wish to choose

hope you get it sorted its an expensive mistake

T

technodad

the stone company that sold me the tiles advises you need to seal the back of them, this sounds pretty bonkers to me and i've never heard of anyone else doing this - anyone? my understanding is sealing is to prevent staining from spillages etc, and also from grouting. so why would you seal the back?

also: when laying basalt tiles is it normal for lots of water to seep to the surface and leave deposits which you must clean off? would appreciate advice from those with experience.

it is rapid set adhesive btw. but it's been quite cold and theres no heating in the room, so that would slow the setting process down i imagine.

S

Stone Store UK

You don't need to seal the back of the tiles ever. You need to do full bedding adhesive and seal the surface. If Stone company advising " seal the back of the tiles ". then these tiles are not fit to sell for a floor tiles. Some andesite stone tiles sold as a basalt tiles which they are very very porous.
Basalt is very dense hard wearing stone, some of them harder than granite. You are unlucky to have these slabs, you need to wait until dry, you may be lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to basalt tiles - will this dry ok? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello l’m doing up a cottage in Dorset. I’m moving the kitchen into a ‘60’s built extension...
Replies
Views
Last Dec tiled a small conservatory (13m) with 600mm porcelain tiles. Prior to tiling another...
Replies
Views
Thanks for taking your time to read through this and really appreciate the support! So me and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.