Discuss Base for porcelain at back of garden? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Robthespoon

Hi, so I want to do some DIY laying of porcelain tiles at the back of my garden. At the moment it's just compacted soil, (area of approx 3 m x 2 m) so I realise I need a few layers before I lay the tiles, but I can't work out what.

Chappy in topps tiles recommended 3 inches of grade 1 gravel, then layer of flexible adhesive, then tiles, but I wasn't entirely sure he was trustworthy!

Any recommendations would be massively appreciated

Rob

S

SJPurdy

Chappy in topps tiles recommended 3 inches of grade 1 gravel, then layer of flexible adhesive, then tiles, but I wasn't entirely sure he was trustworthy!
Rob
Definitely not that!

It will be dig out and fill with a well compacted layer of sub base ("hard-core") followed by a concrete base (probably with a blinding layer of sand in between). Then when the concrete is fully cured tile it with a flexible adhesive. You should be able to find the appropriate layer thicknesses in a general building guide if someone else doesn't post them here.

S

SJPurdy

A Blinding layer of sand not a binding layer. It means that the concrete is decoupled from the underlying base and can contract and expand independently. If it was an indoor base where a damp proof membrane is needed then it also covers the sharp bits of stone to prevent tearing/holing of the membrane.
As for thicknesses, well I'm not a builder but an old DIY book I have suggests: If it is firm ground then it can just be compacted and the concrete layed on it. but looser ground needs stabilising with some hardcore.
For paths 25-50mm hardcore then sand to cover then 75mm concrete.
Drives 75mm hardcore then sand to cover then 100mm concrete.
If I was you I'd do some googling to get some up to date specifications, but of the ones I have given I would treat it as a drive not a path.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Base for porcelain at back of garden? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views
Good evening all, I am currently in the process of swapping out decking for a tiled patio. I...
Replies
Views
I live in Berkshire, UK, where the soil is clay. My current patio is block paved (laid about 20...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB