Discuss Basic question - flooring prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

edwardk

Hi guys,
Got a kitchen to tile - about (some pics here and layout http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/45729-tile-orientation-600-x-400-way.html#post470936)

I still haven't started (busy with work again) but am keen to get started.

I was wondering if I needed to do any floor prep?

It's a screed floor and looks pretty flat to me. What is the best way of working out any bumps/dips?

What kind of dip is acceptable ?
Do you just add more adhesive or is it advisable to get it as flat as possible with SLC?

I've got Ardex X77W and was planning on mixing up a small amount and just working slowly with 3mm tile spacers (applestone limestone) and doing the cuts as I go along.

Then covering it with plastic overnight until it's finished (muddy cats etc).
Once tiles are down I was going to seal with LTP Mattstone then grout then seal again.

Got some ducts with ply covering them.
What is the best way of making sure I don't have any movement cracks?
Just make sure it's all level and solid or go lower and then backfill with SLC ?

Alot of questions - thanks for any help.

Ed

E

edwardk

Thanks for the advice - can't change the X77W but not too bothered as have moved the kitchen to another room. I'm a slow worker too and haven't tiled before so I think I should be ok with it.

I guess my main question now is whether to use a decoupling membrane or not.

Just looked at some youtube vids on schluter ditra and dural ci matting.

decouple02.jpg decouple03.jpg decouple01.jpg

So if I didn't have any plywood ducts then it would be a simple case of self leveling compound in the dips and then adhesive+tiles.

Am I right in thinking that due to the ducts I have to use a decoupling membrane?

The schluter dita is £12.95 locally and the Dural CI matting is £9.95.

Are they both pretty much the same ?

What is the correct adhesive for putting the decoupling down with?

I guess if I don't put the decoupling down then I'll get cracks in the corridor and kitchen threshold. I guess a couple of hundred extra pounds is worth it for no cracks in my own house :)

Any thoughts?
Ed

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

yes ED use Dural they are a site sponsor and they are cheaper!! i just used a load and i used a fast setting addy to stick the matting down ,make sure you lay it the right way up IE the netting/holes-up side and the fleece down this is very important then as you UN-roll it into the wet-addy have a clean trowel to iron out on the top/clean side any air/or voids between the matting and the addy for a great bedding/fixing to the floor then you are ready to Carrie on tiling mate straight-away

D

Daz

Okay, I've only skimmed this thread to remind myself so apologies if I've missed certain details..

Apply P51 undiluted to wooden substrates. It is suggested that you mix it 1 part primer to 3 parts water for sand cement screeds.

The X7R will present a challenge for you (I'm not trying to scare you, just prepare you). I find that it goes off really quick so deffo only mix up small quantities.

Lay out your decoupler, cutting the strips to fit your rooms before mixing any adhesive. I usually draw a line down the edge of the individual strips so that I know what area to trowel the adhesive into for each section. I would suggest mixing the X7R slightly "wetter" than recommended on the bag and only use a mosaic (4mm) trowel for spreading the adhesive, making sure that you remove all air pockets and achieve a solid bond.

I think that covers it, good luck,

Daz

E

edwardk

Top marks for these guys :

Good prices and nice service - seemed to get some high prices from others - here's a quick breakdown for those interested:

30 sq metres ditra mat : £
10 litres LTP Mattstone : £
shipping : £
total : £

Locally they wanted £ for 30m2 of CI Matting....and £ for 10 litres of Lithofin MN stainstop... total : £....

So pretty damn happy about saving a bit :)
Ed

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Basic question - flooring prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Basic question - flooring prep
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks