Discuss Basic Toolbox in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

kit2.jpg

Above is a great starter set of holesaws because

a) It contains the right holesaws to cover standard UK pipe sizes
b) It has the core drills for all your fixtures and fittings (2x6mm and 2x8mm)

Cost wise it Works out at £7.15 a drill with seven drills in the kit. (£42+VAT) £49.99 total

ALTERNATIVES:

If you progress and want to go mad then at the top end of the range for £199 is the box set

ULT1.jpg

The small kit contains everything that the large one does (same drills) but the kit is concentrated on the most common sizes. Both are good value for money but the small set is obviously "less" money.

Hope that sorts out your tile drilling solution for your project.

J

jaydebruyne

Hi, is it a one of job you are doing or is it something you intend to do lots of?. If its a one of then giving more detail ie size of tiles, type of tiles, where is the wall kitchen/bathroom. if its going to be something you are going to do regularly then no point buying cheap tools, start off with good tools and get into good habits.

I be doing my first bit of tiling on my next job but it's something I'd like to do regularly as I aim to do bathroom fitting as part of my plumbing repertoire. Not sure yet of the tiles my friend will be getting so I'm a bit in the dark.

J

jaydebruyne

So here's my bare minimum list:

Manual tile cutter (Rubi Star 40-N)
Tile saw
Range of hole saws (Do they have to be specific to porcelain?)
Trowels - 6mm square notched, round notched & bucket (will build on it as I go)
Tile file & edge sander
Grout sponge & spreader
Tile nippers
Batons / screws (I was looking at the Suretile Tiletracker, any views?)
Bucket
Range of spacers - I've heard the suretile uniplugs are good. Any feedback on these?

I have other tools already, e.g. drill, hammer, good range of plumbing tools etc

J

jaydebruyne

Get your 2mm wall spacers from nicobond in my opinion the best by far come in a nice reusable plastic box I pay around 20 quid for 5000 don't bother with floor spacers learn to train and use your eye I hate using floor spacers and make sure u buy a radio very important piece of kit :thumbsup:

Haha I've seen the radio floating around regarding essential kit for the toolbox - I'll be sure to make sure I get one ;) Cheers Mike

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Get your 2mm wall spacers from nicobond in my opinion the best by far come in a nice reusable plastic box I pay around 20 quid for 5000 don't bother with floor spacers learn to train and use your eye I hate using floor spacers and make sure u buy a radio very important piece of kit :thumbsup:
IMO it would be a bad idea to start laying by eye straight away, get everything else right first

M

mike1979

I suppose nothing as long as you use them on edge and don't poke them in between the joints as I did a floor once with a bloke who used spacers and the tiles weren't quite all the same size and he went out of square terribly and I didn't go out at all I just the joints a fraction more and the bloke that taught me drummed it into me to do it by eye ive thinking on it I suppose it's not a bad idea to start with but when you get the feel for it try tiling without

S

Stef

How do you deal with variations in tile size?

You just have to juggle them about a bit.
I use tile wedges that go from 0-5mm or a bit of card ripped from the box & put them in beside the spacer.
I normally start in the centre of a wall or floor & work them out from either side of centre line.
I wouldn't tile without spacers as it only takes 1 tile to move & it could turn into a nightmare, at least with spacers it locks the tile into the next one (in theory)

T

TJ Smiler

How do you deal with variations in tile size?

You will find more often than not that tile size will vary from tile to tile (Length and width) this could be quiet big 3mm to very slight half a mm but when you are working with such small lines there is very little area for mistakes. I always use spacers mixed with the wedges, if you just put spacers in and keep to that you will find that you will come off your line (not in all cases but certainly in loads) and your job will be buggered so keep an eye on your lines and use the wedges accordingly.

J

jaydebruyne

kit2.jpg

Above is a great starter set of holesaws because

a) It contains the right holesaws to cover standard UK pipe sizes
b) It has the core drills for all your fixtures and fittings (2x6mm and 2x8mm)

Cost wise it Works out at £7.15 a drill with seven drills in the kit. (£42+VAT) £49.99 total

ALTERNATIVES:

If you progress and want to go mad then at the top end of the range for £199 is the box set

ULT1.jpg

The small kit contains everything that the large one does (same drills) but the kit is concentrated on the most common sizes. Both are good value for money but the small set is obviously "less" money.

Hope that sorts out your tile drilling solution for your project.

Is there a forum member discount for the starter kit ;)

Reply to Basic Toolbox in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
D
Drilling a hole into a Belle bath. Fitting Victorian taps. Drill steel baths. Project fitting...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
D
Hi, Been lurking around the forum for the last couple of days and began to feel a bit...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
W
Hi guys I have not managed on in a while with everything I have been doing over the last few...
Replies
Views
David - Tradetiler
D

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB