Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Basic travertine help please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

block

Hi guys.

Tried not to post such basic questions but I feel I must due to a spinning head!
Bought some travertine for the kitchen floor and I would like to know:-
1) What is 'backfilling'. do I need to do it.
2) do I seal the front and back
3) what adhesive would you recommend to affix to previosly fixed tiles (I know, sorry to all the purists!). There is a small area of concrete to be covered also.
4) If I use white adhesive, would it seep through and cause problems with my proposed biege grout, ie, come all the way though the various small gaps.
5) Does the addy need to be flexible. All the tiles already laid are very secure
6) I plan to use unmixed addy if poss because of the price, name your favourites please.
7) I just read a post about grouting the whole tile and I plan to do this in case it makes any difference to your replies.

I know this is probably all very basic stuff, but I thank you all kindly in advance.

Paul

F

faithhealer

Re: Basic trvertine help please.

Hi guys.

Tried not to post such basic questions but I feel I must due to a spinning head!
a lot of trav has voids, if you 'back butter', (spread thin layer of addy on the back of the tile before fixing) this will, fill voids, give a better fix by eliminating dust etc
DON'T seal the back
3) what adhesive would you recommend to affix to previosly fixed tiles (I know, sorry to all the purists!). There is a small area of concrete to be covered also. Flexible white adhesive
4) If I use white adhesive, would it seep through and cause problems with my proposed biege grout, ie, come all the way though the various small gaps. Work clean, wipe off as you go
5) Does the addy need to be flexible. All the tiles already laid are very secure Yes
6) I plan to use unmixed addy if poss because of the price, name your favourites please. tub gear wouldn't work anyway, single part flexible white adhesive, I personally use Mapei, but ardex and Bal are good makes, keep away from B&Q and Unibond.
7) I just read a post about grouting the whole tile and I plan to do this in case it makes any difference to your replies. grouting the whole tile fills in the voids, good clean down and seal afterwards

I know this is probably all very basic stuff, but I thank you all kindly in advance.

Paul
Hope thats enough to get you going
ps welcome aboard

B

block

Re: Basic trvertine help please.

a lot of trav has voids, if you 'back butter', (spread thin layer of addy on the back of the tile before fixing) this will, fill voids, give a better fix by eliminating dust etc
DON'T seal the back
3) what adhesive would you recommend to affix to previosly fixed tiles (I know, sorry to all the purists!). There is a small area of concrete to be covered also. Flexible white adhesive
4) If I use white adhesive, would it seep through and cause problems with my proposed biege grout, ie, come all the way though the various small gaps. Work clean, wipe off as you go
5) Does the addy need to be flexible. All the tiles already laid are very secure Yes
6) I plan to use unmixed addy if poss because of the price, name your favourites please. tub gear wouldn't work anyway, single part flexible white adhesive, I personally use Mapei, but ardex and Bal are good makes, keep away from B&Q and Unibond.
7) I just read a post about grouting the whole tile and I plan to do this in case it makes any difference to your replies. grouting the whole tile fills in the voids, good clean down and seal afterward

Thank you all.
Faithhealer, when I posted, I dreamed of a response like the above, thank you.
Couple more though!
1) Seal the front and sides once will be enough?. (Dont seal the back, d'oh!)
2) Mapei 20kg bag at b&q, about £20, is this 'single part flexible'? Dont suppose they do a beige addy with grout.
3) I have a notched trowel, not a semi circle one, I presume this would be ok?
4) My trav is a beigey colour, would you use a beige grout?

Thank you again, very helpful.

Paul

Keraflex Maxi (S1). Here comes the science bit from the MAPEI products catalogue. :thumbsup:

Where to use:
Interior/Exterior wall and floor tiling. Bonding all types of ceramic and porcelain tiles, mosaics and natural stone on conventional wall substrates, render, plaster, plasterboard, marine ply and other board types. Floor substrates include cement screed, anhydrite screed, concrete and marine ply. Particularly suitable for large sized porcelain tiles and moisture stable stone materials and underfloor/undertile heating.
Bed Thickness : 3-15mm
NB. Gypsum plaster and anhydrite screeds must be primed.

Pot Life : Over 8 hrs
Open Time : approx 30 mins.

The main difference with keraquick is it's a rapid set and it can be mixed with latex additive to make it even more flexible (S2).

I'm off to work today to go and mix my last bag of it. Was really nice to work with. Don't mix it too sloppy, keep it stiff and it will stay on your trowel better :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:
F

faithhealer

DJS, thank you.
Another couple here for you!
I plan to do the floor in 2 days, first day all uncut tiles, let it go off overnight then the cut edge tiles the next day. This makes sense to me, but does it you?
Also, any tips on cutting these tiles. Will a standard diy electric cutter do this ok? They are quite thick. Do I cut from the bottom?
Thank you.

Paul.
don't give yourself time limits, if it takes two/three/ four days, so be it.

I like to do cuts as you go.

Depends on which diy cutter you buy, you might scrape through with the std wheel you get on those things.

You don't turn the tile upside down if thats what you mean. cut from both ends if you find the tile constantly chips

Reply to Basic travertine help please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Please help me. Really having a nightmare here. Just moved into a new house and the...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
My tiled bathroom floor is new but I have moisture seemingly seeping up through the grouting in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Basic travertine help please.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.