Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Batch Numbers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

V

Versatile

How many of you check batch numbers before installing tiles
Done a bathroom last week, everything fine no problems
Get a call this morning saying there is a few tiles that are different shades
Tiles are ceramic but do come in a few different shades and the range of tiles are are grained
And patterned
Apparently ctd have put a box on the pallet that is a different batch number
I know it's fitters error and I'll have to wear it but it's 5tiles out of 30sqmetres
These things are annoying
I'll have to spend best part the day replacing these tiles and prolly the background as we'll

W

White Room

This what happens when the customer takes all the tiles out of there boxes so no chance of checking batch numbers

J & P Bathroom 002.jpg

T

Tile Shop

Haha had forgotten about that thread,
entertaining.
Good shout Andy.

Still trying to forget, LOL.

Although it did have a positive effect when the warehouse manager read it. Made a few changes for the better since then. See. was worth Dan calling me a "Cocky Plonker" for :)

But back to this thread, this is still a touchy subject for some. But, there is a chain. As an example (agree or not) this is ours, but it is open to negotiation with the customer depending on the situation.

1st Priority, supplier quality checks before despatch. If a single batch can't be done, customer gets a call and nothing gets sent unless they agree to accept multiple batches on a 45 day sale and return basis (collection of unsuitable goods is at the suppliers cost).

Customer should then second check batch numbers and tiles for damage and quality upon delivery, to ensure they have suitable tiles for the tiler to fit. If there is an issue, the supplier is obliged to collect and re-supply or refund.

If I was a tiler (which I hope to be within the next 6 months if all goes to plan, fingers crossed), knowing what I know from being this side of the desk, will loose lay a selection from multiple boxes as a final check before fixing. Its all very well saying there shouldn't be a problem at this stage, be we all know people make mistakes and the odd fish can slip the net.

This should lead to, liability wise:
1. If unsuitable tiles get fixed, that should be addressed between the customer and the fixer, or at the suppliers discretion. (thats where the "no claims after fixing" comes in. In simple terms if the supplier can't make a claim to the factory, nothing can be reimbursed). But, the supplier can still make an attempt at raising a claim on the customers behalf. Whether it is successful at this point in the installation, is another matter. Its highly doubtful that a manufacturer or supplier will cover the cost of fixing mixed batches, but other issues could potentially be addressed. If the supplier is a good customer of the factory, it would be in the manufacturers best interest to help the supplier to help the customer, although they are not obliged to do so.

2. If the tiler spots a problem before fixing and can't continue, he should be owed an acceptable day rate for wasted time, which would be down to the customer, with assistance from the supplier if it was not an obvious issue that the "average" person would spot, i.e sizing being out of tolerance. As per consumer rights, the supplier should be given ample opportunity to rectify the problem and supply goods that are fit for purpose. This is why we tell people not to book a tiler in until they have checked their delivery of goods and deem them to be "acceptable" for fixing, or at least book him in with ample time to secure acceptable goods.

3. If a tile shows sign of "physical fault" (not batch difference) AFTER the tilers work has been accepted, a method statement is requested and site visit will be arranged to deem if the issue is with the fixing or the tile. If its the fixing, its the tilers liability and if its the tile, the supplier is to be invoiced for remedial work, supply new tiles to the same cost as the original order, and they can then claim back from the manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Italy

How many of you check batch numbers before installing tiles
Done a bathroom last week, everything fine no problems
Get a call this morning saying there is a few tiles that are different shades
Tiles are ceramic but do come in a few different shades and the range of tiles are are grained
And patterned
Apparently ctd have put a box on the pallet that is a different batch number
I know it's fitters error and I'll have to wear it but it's 5tiles out of 30sqmetres
These things are annoying
I'll have to spend best part the day replacing these tiles and prolly the background as we'll
I do not understand. 5 tiles. in 30 square meters.
you versatile . not noticed?
during. grouting, tiles 5, I think I. you see.
if not seen. believe that customer. not see.
mystery.
I. never look. codes on the box. if during laying. notice that something. do not go. then control codes

T

Tile Shop

I do not understand. 5 tiles. in 30 square meters.
you versatile . not noticed?
during. grouting, tiles 5, I think I. you see.
if not seen. believe that customer. not see.
mystery.
I. never look. codes on the box. if during laying. notice that something. do not go. then control codes

To some extent I agree, 5 tiles should be spotted sooner, but if your floor or wall is half fitted, and the supplier can't offer to replace the remaining half in the same batch, what happens then? We've had similar situations before, and as a goodwill gesture, supplied the whole order again from a single batch, but hands are tied when it comes to extra fitting costs (unless the factory agree). In that instance @antonio, who is liable for the remedial costs? you or your customer? And, do you knowingly continue fitting the different shade/calibre?

Its an industry standard not to reimburse costs for fixing mixed batches, UK, Italy, rest of the world.... As they say, don't hate the player, hate the game :) (or supplier/industry in this case)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I take absolutely no responsibility what so ever for any tiles a customer supplies.
They employ my services as a tile fixer to fix there tiles and it's entirely up to them to make sure the tiles they have purchased are the correct shade, batch ect.
If I supply the tiles then it's all down to me.....but I charge a premium for that.

I

Italy

To some extent I agree, 5 tiles should be spotted sooner, but if your floor or wall is half fitted, and the supplier can't offer to replace the remaining half in the same batch, what happens then? We've had similar situations before, and as a goodwill gesture, supplied the whole order again from a single batch, but hands are tied when it comes to extra fitting costs (unless the factory agree). In that instance @antonio, who is liable for the remedial costs? you or your customer? And, do you knowingly continue fitting the different shade/calibre?

Its an industry standard not to reimburse costs for fixing mixed batches, UK, Italy, rest of the world.... As they say, don't hate the player, hate the game :) (or supplier/industry in this case)
at the moment. always solved.
manufacturers of tile. serious. solve all the problems.
(I say this. Because many years ago. I was selling tile).
order had was: the first problem. halt laying. and pay for lost time.
I think tiler. not obliged to check codes. the codes count for little. if put inside sh it ;)

V

Versatile

Update on the above
The tiles supplied come in a bone colour and grey and various shades in the two ranges
A lighter coloured grey out of the grey range and a darker coloured bone from that range look very similar with the same coloured grey in both tiles
Ctd supplied the tiles
All boxed with some loose tiles,some of the bone range have beed delivered with the grey that was required, but because they are so similar this wasn't picked up
Tiles have been on two weeks and over that time customer has been questioning and looking at the tiles every time they went in 6in total
The tiles have now been removed at my cost so everyone happy apart from me
This was the problem 6tiles out of god knows how many with not much between them
My fault but I've never had this in over 30years but I know it won't happen again
You be carefull out there

Reply to Batch Numbers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Afternoon everyone, just after a bit of advice on preparing some walls for ceramic, possibly...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've been planning on tiling my 16sq m dining room floor for ages, so have been reading...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a decent geometric floor planner program/resource and having a little trouble...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, We have black slate and white marble floor tiles in our hallway, chequerboard...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Hi All I'm looking for some advice from the experts and hope you can help. I've just had a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Batch Numbers
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Canada Tile Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond