Discuss Bathroom advice please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dave_ave

I am about to start a new ensuite bathroom and need some advice on adhesives please?

I have bought large format (60cm x 60cm) porcelain tiles for the walls, which are just plain plasterboard.

The floor is marine ply and I want to put 60cm x 30cm porcelain tiles on it?

I have a shower area with I plan to tank with BAL WP1.

Adhesives are a mystery to me so what adhesives should I use please?

Thanks in advance.

P

peckers

I am about to start a new ensuite bathroom and need some advice on adhesives please?

I have bought large format (60cm x 60cm) porcelain tiles for the walls, which are just plain plasterboard.

The floor is marine ply and I want to put 60cm x 30cm porcelain tiles on it?

I have a shower area with I plan to tank with BAL WP1.

Adhesives are a mystery to me so what adhesives should I use please?

Thanks in advance.
As to what make of adhesive you use depends on what your local supplier stocks!
for the walls as they are 60cmx60cm porcelain tiles i would reccomend a cement based adhesive single part flexible which is suitable for porcelain tiles, or some manufacturers do some specifically for fixing porcelain tiles!
as for the floor more info is needed! you say it is going on marine ply!
have you overboarded the original floor with this? or replaced the floor with this? and what thickness is it? what spacings have you screwed it down at etc? The more info you can give the more accurate the advice we can give to you!!!
hope this helps???

R

Rich

The best thing to do is go into your local supplier and ask them what addy they stock that will be suitable. Would defo use a single part flexi powder addy on the walls and they will do a 2 part flexi for the floor. Tiling on ply is not Ideal as if any water gets through to the ply you will have all sorts of problems but if (as you said) it is fixed down well, is thick enough ply and you make sure the grouting and sealant is done properly you shouldnt have any problems. Hope this is some kind of help. :thumbsup:

P.S you will want a flexi grout for the floor, same thing ask in the store what they stock that is suitable.

P

peckers

Thanks for the reply Peckers.

The floor was put in especially for the job by the builder as it is a new extension. The floor has extra 'meatier' joists than the rest of the extension and is screwed down everywhere. The builder advised this as I said I would be floor tiling. It won't move - hopefully!
As long as there is no deflection or movement in the floor and it is capable of carrying the weight( as the builder has built it to take the tiles) then you will be ok useing single part flexible for the floor as well !! if in any doubt about the deflection movement etc then i would use a 2 part flexible adhesive! Dont forget to use a flexible grout too as it is on timber!! And to seal the marine ply with an acrylic primer!(check on the back of the adhesive bag depending which manufacturer you use and to wheather you use single part or two part adhesive??)
hope this helps any further questions then ask away!:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom advice please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
After some advice please..... We have approx. 50sq m of Dijon limestone 600 x 90 x15mm and also...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views
As an introduction, I'm a DIY home owner who has gutted the bathroom in a house built in 1980...
Replies
Views
Tony R
T
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB